Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Savannah Ga.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:49 PM

Default Savannah Ga.

Hey guys I will be working in Savannah in a few weeks is there any place to hunt hogs out there thanks
Old 03-02-2006, 03:49 PM

Default RE: Savannah Ga.

I will be going to visit my sister and brother in law down in Hilton Head in mid April. I have my brother in law looking into the same thing. I know there are plenty of hogs down there because they both see them everyday on there way to and from work. Now all we need to find is a place to hunt them. Any ideas you here of I would be interested in as well

Old 03-02-2006, 11:04 PM

i hunt just across the line in sc i know they are tons of hogs along the rivers .no to much public land on the sc side i dont know about the ga side . but good luck to u
Old 03-03-2006, 04:16 PM

check out Ft. Stewart,don't know if they have anything out of season or not.
there are plenty of hogs there.

Old 03-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

Hog season on Ft.Stewart ends March 15th,and resumesMay 16th,after Turkey season ends on May 15th.Basically year around,besides during Turkey season,andthat short time right before turkey season comes in.High powered Rifles are allowed in firearms areas.There are special archery only areas,and bow,muzzleloader,or shotgun w/slug areas also.I'm 99.9% sure you can use rimfire rifles(.22,.17HMR)in the muzzleloader,shotgun areas.

Hunter Army airfield is also included in the pass you buy,and is in Savannah on Hwy 204.No rifles are allowed there(Bow,shotgun w/slugs,or muzzleloaders only),and hog hunting dates are the same there.

Also Hunter safety certificate is required no matter what age you are or how long you've been hunting.Just a heads up.

Link to Ft.Stewart http://www.stewart.army.mil/dpw/wildlife/

No other public land is available to my knowledge until August 15th when squirrel season comes back in.To my knowledge.When that comes back,there is a WMA at Richmond Hill,that I have been told has hogs.

There is also Savannah NWR,but I'm not sure of it's hunting dates.It is along I-95 just across the South Carolina line here in Georgia.There are other ways to get to it besides that though.Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:11 PM

i think you guyshave gave me a vacation idea....I was stationed at Ft Stewart in the early to mid 90's . Always wanted to make a trip back I found that a 3 day hunting Lic is only $30 and i assume my hunters saftey is still good
Old 03-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Hey platterdr.Shoot me a PM,before you decide to come,and I'll show you around,and do my best to help you get a hog.I have shown this pic before,buthereare2 sows I shot at Ft.Stewart with 1 shot from my .30-06 Christmas Eve. 2004.

And here is a sow I shot out there July 3rd 2005.Just in time for the 4th of July party.The hunt lasted 10 minutes.They're not all that easy though.I knew where a favorite wallowing hole was,and went there during mid-day.

I have seen alot of sign pop up in the last few weeks,and saw a few hogs also.They seem to be moving more since most of the deer hunters are gone.I'm going to try and get one more before the cut off date of March 15th.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:00 PM

i will i am seriously considering doing this I have wanted to go to Stewart for a while just to see how things have changed since I left .....I am going to give a call to the DNR there to make sure my hunter saftey is still on file not sure why it wouldn't be though......i will get in touch with you