Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Martin Savannah Longbow >

Martin Savannah Longbow

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Martin Savannah Longbow

Old 02-26-2007, 09:15 PM

Default Martin Savannah Longbow

I'm looking for opinions on the Martin Savannah Longbow

I was at the Cabelas store this weekend and tried a few longbows. It has been a while since I shot a traditional bow, but am wanting to switch from my compound and get back to basics. The bow I really liked wasa55#Martin Savannah. It felt great in my hand, shot very smooth, and I impressed myself with a decent pattern after a few shots.The draw weight was fine, but since I have a 30" draw I was thinking of stepping down to a 50# bow, and still have enough "umph" for deer and elk hunting.

Opinions onarrows, arrow weight, broadheads, hang on quivers vs. pack quivers, etc. would also be welcome as I'm looking tomake this bow my main hunting partner as soon as my proficency and confidence are up to par.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:48 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Martin Savannah Longbow

I have a savannah that I pull 52# at 29" draw. I love the looks, love the handle. I did have trouble at first and still kinda do. The top string notch wears out strings quickly. Like in 1000 shots. So I got a fast flight string, and its holding up. I sent it back to martin, and smoothed a few things, but still wears with a dacron string.

I shoot a 530gr 30" Port Cedar with 125gr tip at 180fps.I also shoot a 29" Easton Classic 2016 aluminum with 125gr points. The cedars are very quiet. But the Alums fly better.

Overall a fine bow, now doubt for a 300-400 dollar range. Nicer ones out there but I wanted something I can sell if I needed too. I sure wouldn't pay over 350 for one. Goto Tradgang.com or stickbow.com. There is tons of them for sale on those sites. No need to pay 500 for one.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought the Martin Hunter over the Savannah this last summer 28"@50#.But due to neck going bad again I cant shoot any of my recurvebows or my martin Stick longbownow,also sold all my compounds except for my old old browning(wall hanger now).Now Iam 100% trad if they get my neck fixed......
I Did buy a crossbow for this yr and maybe nxt,Doc said no bow this yr for sure and I think I would go loony if I couldnt stick a deer this yr or nxt...
Old 02-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey man good to see you around here. I just picked up a longbow myself. I am really excited to get shooting with it. Wish I had more info to offer, but being pretty new to this trad thing myself I'm learning alot too.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:17 PM

Hey Ryan!

Sounds like you are taking the training wheels off your bow too eh??

We'll have to make sure we keep in touch on each others adventures into the trad bow world. :-)

-Scott
Old 03-02-2007, 05:41 PM

i bought the savannah this jan@ 50 lbs.love it.its a little noisy yet but i havnt done anything to quiet it done just yet.from 20 yds i can shoot decent groups,30 yds bout 12 inch groups.distance makes it much harder with the trad stuff.my bow seems to love 2016 s,period.125 grain head.im lookin forward to pluggin a deer with it next fall,practicepracticepractice-MIKE
Old 04-08-2007, 01:14 PM

Well, the tax man was generous this year, and I bought that stickbow that felt so good in my hand. I got the 55lb Savannah with a dozen Easton 2117 "longbow" arrows with 100gr. feild tips. I chose the 2117's because I have a 30" draw, therefore shooting the bow in the +60lbs range.

I'm starting out with close range shooting (inside 20 yards) to get a feel for the bow. I'll start stepping back once I get more consistant grouping. It seems like one set I get great groups, then the other set I'm all over the canvas.

Anyone know of a good "how too" book on shooting traditional for ideas and pointers??
Old 04-08-2007, 01:29 PM
bigcountry

If your patient and can follow Brian Sorrells book, I believe one can be an awesome traditional shooter. but I don't know anyone that could follow that regimen. He wants you to strart out at 5 yards and not move until you can hit like 90% of your arrows within 1" or something like that. It goes on and on until you finally at 25 yards. It would take months to get thru it.