Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

strong enough?

Old 02-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default strong enough?

Im 15 years old and i just got into bowhunting. i would like to charter a hog hunt if i could get the money. Would my Parker Huntermag 60# bow with a 26in draw be enough to take a decent sized trophy. The only reason i ask this is because i see all of the guys on tv using 80# with long draws, and hardly making the pig flinch. I can shoot pretty good groups at 20 yards, usually every arrow within an inch of eachother.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:00 PM

Default RE: strong enough?

with a good quartering away angle you'll get the job done using a good fixed blade broadhead
Old 02-19-2006, 09:26 PM

you dont need a 80 lb bow to take a hog its not a cape buffalo . you just need to know where to hit them . just remeber dont shoot them in their shields . no arrow will penetrate that area .good luck to u
Old 02-20-2006, 02:01 PM

arrows will penetrate the shield but it's eaiser to go quartering away behind it.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:07 PM

you got no problem with that equipment. a quartering away shot is best.stright broadside will do it also; just keep it close behind the sholder and in the bottom 1/3 of the chest.

good luck ; remember Pic's. and lots of Pic's.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Dominant Buck

I had a girlfriend drop them with a bow set at 45lbs. My brother shoots 60lbs and has never had a problem. You will be just fine. Just make sure to keep it low and behind the shoulder. Stay out of the shield.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

I know of a girl that killeda 150lb feral hogwith a 26lb bow. One shot, in the heart, pig was down quick.

Shoot a pig low and tight to the shoulder and you don't need much. I've killed several with my bow set from 50-55lbs and penetration has only been an issue on one I hit in the shield.

Use a good quality fixed blade or a cut-on-impact head and you'll be fine.

Did I mention to keep your shots low and tight to the shoulder?
Old 02-26-2006, 10:30 PM

I shoot 53 Lbs and never have a problem. Shot placement is the key, just like eveyone said. Remember, a lot of the guys you see on T.V. are on "EGO TRIPS" , not "HUNTING TRIPS". I know someone who shoots 35 lbs and rolls giant bucks over every year within 50 yds. Put the blade where it needs to go and you'll get your pig no problem. If you can contain yourself long enough for that quartering away shot like Burnie said, you'll be in great shape. You just want to use a head that will give you blood quickly. I've seen guys lose pigs with a perfect quatering away shot cause the hole sealed up and there was no more trail leading into the heavy stuff.Gotta have blood fast with pigs and lots of it!!