Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rut still going strong here! >

Rut still going strong here!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rut still going strong here!

Old 12-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default Rut still going strong here!

I was going to town at abou 10 this morning and saw a nice 145 inch 10 pointer standing inside the woods down the road from my house so I stopped and watched him for a minute. He just stood there before finally taking off with his nose close to the ground, zig-zagging through the timber. So I went on to town and came back through 35 mins. later and there he was again in the exact same spot. So being the wonderful husband that I am, I called my dad and had him come over and watch the kids for us so I could take my wife and try to put her on him. I got her and went back to where the buck was, but he was gone, however there was a doe standing along the edge of the woods in a field. I knew the buck would be close so I sent her into the woods. She stalked through about 75 yards and spotted the doe along the woods. She went a little farther and another doe started blowing at her, causing the doe along the field to run through the woods right by her. Then right behind her was the 10 pointer. They stopped 20-25 yards from my wife, she drew, aimed carefully, and shot. Smaack. Dead tree. She barely nicked a small sapling about 5 feet in front of where the buck was standing. She was and still is just sick! That was her first good encounter with a higher end buck. I told her to be glad that she got that opportunity and that there would be more chances in the future. I sure wish she could have connected on him though. Any how the bucks are still chasin'.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Spike

Default RE: Rut still going strong here!

i know u guys might think this guy is full of s*%t but seriously i was muzzloading this past weekend and saw two very large bucks run after a group of does and they wanted nothing to do with my calls, they would stop and look, and then continue after the does like it was november 15th! That is the first ive ever seen them do that this late in the year but i believe what this guy is saying, get out there!
Old 12-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Dominant Buck

The buck I shot Saturday was chasing his axx off. I shot him while he was working a scrape.

Jeff
Old 12-12-2006, 01:01 PM

its definitely been a different year here in Il as far as the rut goes.
the rut was a little early then almost non-existant during the first firearms season, then itcameback muchmore intenseduring the 2nd season, hope they are still running this Saturday.

pj where are you located?
Old 12-12-2006, 01:07 PM

Thats just a part of hunting. If you dont know that feeling then you have probably never been hunting. That sucks though. I wish she could have drilled that buck. You just got to get her out there and keep her encouraged. Good luck to the both of you.

-SteveO
Old 12-12-2006, 02:20 PM

i freshened up a scrape saturday with my own piss and this morning, there were 2 new scrapes around it. This is the same place I saw like 6 bucks in one area though....one is a monster 10-12 point that I am after
Old 12-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

I live north of Effingham about 12 miles
Old 12-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

I've have yet to see much rutting activity of any kind on the public land that I hunt. I saw a little buck chasing/seeking and a couple of decent bucks seeking. That was back before the first shotgun season. Since then, the deer seem to have all gone down into burrows or have been abducted by aliens.

I didn't go out today due to the warm weather, but I'll probably be back out again tomorrow and the next day and the next.... [:-]
Old 12-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Wife took a Real nice 3 1/2 year old, 8pt, saturday the 9th. He was following afuzzy face Doe. Probably late, first heat for her, But it's time for 2nd cycle for mature doe's here in northern Mich. It's not uncommon to find evidence of a third cycle in the snow, in January here. Just not enough Bucks around to take care of business!
Old 12-14-2006, 10:42 PM

I have only seen bucks chasin 1 day in early bow season and all rifle season long. not sure whats goin on with them.

Quick Reply: Rut still going strong here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.