Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Personal hogs

Old 12-22-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Personal hogs

What does it take to put hogs on your property for personal usage? How much does each hog cost and how much fencing do I need.

We have a place with 110 acers that me and a buddy want to put hogs on for fun and meat. We are in maine so what kind of hogs would make it through the winter.

thanks

Old 12-24-2005, 10:03 AM

Default RE: Personal hogs

I'd first check with your local Conservation and Dept. of Ag....They can be pretty finicky about regs. and how you contain your game....They are here anyway....Good Luck
Old 12-24-2005, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most likely it would be illegal to release wild hogs on your property. You would need to check with the game department. Also as far as fencing it is almost impossible to keep them in a fence if they want out. In order to build a fence that would keep them in on 100+ acres would cost more than it would be worth. I've seen them run through a 5 strand barb wire fence like it was not there.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:44 PM

hogs are a non game animal and can be traped and raised and domesticated. Texa NEway. Get hog panel and dont make corners, round them off it will keep them from rooting as much. maybe a strand of barbwire round the bottom. -Peace
Old 12-25-2005, 04:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

You can buy hog wire panels from TSC (Tractor Supply Company) that works pretty well.. But Hogs are a pain, unless your are prepared to spend a lot of money on material to build and maintain hog pens, not to mention the nasty smell. One recommendation, build down wind.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:05 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Fencing??? I hope you have a strong back and lots of $$$ to spend. I have tried the Hog wire panels and cattle panels with T post about every 4' and the dang things still can get into the feeder. They just dig under it.
Like Jeffs said, I also have seen them go through a 5 strand barbwire fence and not even slow down.
The fence can be made but its going to cost you some $$$$ to do it.