Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Your personal best???

Old 05-27-2004, 11:44 PM

Default Your personal best???

I was just wondering what you longest sucessful shot is? Or any great shot in harsh condition, etc. please include following : gun used, animal killed, distance, bullet weight. Any additional info would be great!
Old 05-28-2004, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Your personal best???

i was about 10 years old. had a daisy 881 powerline pellet gun. i was using daisy round nose pellets. i was shooting at a flock of starlings across a small valley, they were about 200+ yards away. i gave the gun 10 pumps, and aimed a little above the horizon over the flock. i fired. a couple seconds later the flock takes off. all except for the one starling that i hit.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:55 AM

I was out pheasant hunting for the first time. I was one bird short of my limit and my friend hadn't gotten one yet. We're really competitive, I was thinking I could give him crap for a week if he got skunked and I got my limit. I'm looking to the right and then turn to the left to see him just about to take a perfect shot on a pheasant flying right towards us.

I didn't have much time, shot from the hip with my old model 12 and nailed it. Unfortunately my friend did get one when we were walking out of the field.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:55 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-28-2004, 01:53 PM

Rifle:
250 yards
22-250
1-1/2 inch target (little 22 ammo box)
Knocked it right over pretty dang proud of myself for that one, glad i had someone too see it or i might have believed it myself!
Old 05-28-2004, 03:20 PM

Kangaroo at 125 yards with 22 rimfire late in the evening.Head shot .he never mover.

Derek
Old 05-28-2004, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

i shot a flyinf dove out of the back of a fast moving truck one time with my shot gun not the safest thing and probably not legal but me and a friend were riding through the woods and i was the only one hunting so i rode in the back of his truck to get in and out faster and all and a flock(?) of dove flew up and i picked one off while the truck was still moving pretty quick it was probably more luck then skill though
Old 05-29-2004, 04:21 PM

antelope 425 yards-laser range finder verified
standing no support
.270 weatherby wtih110 gr
Old 05-29-2004, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

around here we dont have much long distance......and thats not my cup of tea anyway when it comes to hunting.....i have 2 shots.....one was a deer.....distance was over 100yds....probably 150 or so......we were doing one ouf our giant drives with like 10+guys....dont know how many were there that day.......we lined a hill and the drivers passes us.....i talked to the leader and he said be smart...turne around and watch us walk away....the deer are going to turn and run at you guys not away from us....i was thinking ya right they are going to go straight away....but this guy knows his stuff when it comes to giant deer drives and sure enough after the drivers got into the woods 300yds across the pasture a few deer came runing out.....i was the only one with a doe tag i think......mine was with one other small one....it got about 100yrds up the hill and about 125 out from the edge we were lined on....i stopped it while it was out there so there was no danger of the others up that way....they were all behind me at an angle.....bahhed at them....they stopped....thuhboom! the back end of the doe collapsed first then down the rest went...looked like the elk on "jerimiah johnson" for those who seen that flick....that was leaning against a tree......couldnt use the tree as a rest because the fence went though it and i couldnt back up far enough...so i pushed up against it to steady some of me.....i guess it worked...oh ya....gun was the mauser 98k in 3006 bullets were federal high energy 165 gr psp....the other was a squirrel.....i was sitting there after school on an oak ridge kinda dozing off a little.....just relaxing in the warm sun.....i heard a nut fall and knew it was a tree rat....sure enough i looked up and there was a tail flickering....really far down the hill......id say 75-100yds through the woods....i put the 4x scope on him....held about an inch about his head...squeezed off.....heard the gun.....then heard the bullet hit him......then heard him hit the ground after a 60ft fall into the litttle tiny creek.......wind took the bullet just right....took off part of the ear then went in the shoulder.......would been a perfect between the eye head shot if the wind didnt drift it........that was with a marlin 22lr.....with a cheap tasco 4x scope.......
Old 05-29-2004, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have had lot of good shots in the past but only a few really stand out in my mind right now. I dont recall all the detail so i'll just try to remember the best i can. POI means Point Of Impact. I am updated this today (june 16th)

Weapon: .22 Ruger w/scope
Ammo: CCI Stinger (hollow points)
Distance: 100+ yards
Animal: Squirrel
POI: Head (was aiming for body but it moved last second)

Weapon: .22 Ruger w/scope
Ammo: CCI Stinger (Hollow points)
Distance: 204 Yards (range finder)
Animal: Jack-Rabbit
POI: Body*1

Weapon: .300 Savage Magnum
Ammo: Will find out
Distance: 273 Yards (range finder)
Animal: Wild Pig (Sow)
POI:Body

Weapon: Compound Bow
Distance: 25-30 Yards
Animal: Jackrabbit
POI: Body*2

Weapon: Compound Bow
Distance: 20-22 Yards
Animal: Jackrabbit
POI: Body*3

*1..I wasn't sure if i did get it in the body or in the head because we were shooting from a fence line for some farmers but we didn't have permission to go onto their property but could shoot from where we were at as long as we didn't shoot any cows or leave our empty casings. I know the rabbit was in fact dead but wasn't able to tell where the actual impact was.

*2..Okay this is funny story behind this one. I just got my bow maybe a few months before trying my luck on getting an rabbit. My dad and I went to this large brushy area where rabbits were running around quite a bit. I was basiclly just walking around flushing the rabbits up, which always seem to have a bad habit of doing so after i passed by and stayed among heavy brush. I was able to get one shot off at one, but because i never tried shooting at running targets, i mislead this one and my arrow hit low and right, however when it hit the dirt, it tumbling end over end and hit the rabbit in the body with the nock end. So i think that was my best shot with my bow so far even if i didnt kill it lol

*3..This happen just a few days ago. I took a shot at this rabbit and hit it, it went into some thick brush and i wasn't able to locate it until yesterday. The 'yotes got to it so i couldn't tell where my arrow hit but i had some blood on my arrow (what was left of the rabbit was about 30 feet from my arrow)

Quick Reply: Your personal best???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.