Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Finding the hogs

Old 10-10-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Finding the hogs

How do you go about finding good areas with and what do you look for when you are looking for good areas, im totally new to hog hunting never hunted anything but deer, elk, and birds but never hogs how does a guy go about scouting them where do they like to hang out. any input is much apreciated.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:45 PM

Default RE: Finding the hogs

look for swampy land with cypress ponds and creeks. lots of oak trees or farm fields. look for soil turned up like a tractor was there. they will make diffenet trails to and from feed to bedding areas.

Old 10-10-2005, 06:49 PM
Dominant Buck

What Tree Climber said and if there is a fresh Wallow
you will definitely know!
Old 10-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

It kinda depends on where you hunt. I'm in Ca. and we don't get much swamp land around here. I recently returned to hog hunting after a long lay off, but if it's been dry, just look for a year round water source. Then, when you find the water, you will probably find the trails that tree climber was talking about. In the early morning, set up around the water hole. If that doesn't produce, then follow the trails and look for fresh off shoot trails. This might lead to bedding. In Ca. they love chapparel bush. They tend to follow it almost everywhere they go. It can get thick, but if you jump them, they will spring to open ground. In my experience, much like most animals, if you can't find water (especially in dry months) you won't find game. Good luck, if you post your location, people in your area would probably jump in with their tactics.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:31 PM
Fork Horn

what type of area do you have to hunt? in the area i hunt, i know the hogs migrated to us down the red river. now the hog population is outragous. for the most part look for a hog trail. hogs will always use the same path or trail to get from the bedding area or cover to their food plot. this is true until this same trail has hunting pressure on it. hogs will adapt to hunting pressure and change their routes. most of the time you will not catch hogs going to their food plots, its best catching them come out, it really depends on the hunting pressure. we do our best hunting right at dawn or dusk. about their cover, look for areas with a lot of cover. plum thickets, cat tails, crp grass etc... areas that a human will have to crawl through. be careful, i wouldn't recommend getting nose to nose with a wild hog. you will usually hear them before you see them.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

MUD and food
Old 10-11-2005, 02:45 PM

look for rootin wallows rubs things like that
Old 10-12-2005, 07:02 AM

a few things. . . .find the water sources, then look for the wallows. Near those you will find where they rub on trees. They love to rub telephone poles with Creasote (SP?) on them. Then find those patches of earth where they have been rooting around, under Oak trees, around crops. etc. The trails will look like a highway, a sow and a bunch of piglets makes quite a path. The hoof prints, like Deer but not as pointed on the front. The scat, somewhere between a dog and a person, Dark and with a pretty good view of that last meals contents.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:13 AM

If you live in Florida, there's really no bad place to look. They are always out, even in the middle of the day. Here's what I suggest. If your hunting on private property, use a truck, atv or any kind of vehicle that can handle theoffroad and cruise nice and easy at about 5mph or less. Whenyou come to a nice hammock or bayhead, hop out hunt it.If there's no hogs, back in the truck.If your going to still hunt, do it at night. I've seen more hogs deer hunting at night than anytime else. No need to get up at 4am

Hope this helps

farmerjohn
Old 10-24-2005, 06:46 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Zesterhouse

If you live in Florida, there's really no bad place to look. They are always out, even in the middle of the day. Here's what I suggest. If your hunting on private property, use a truck, atv or any kind of vehicle that can handle theoffroad and cruise nice and easy at about 5mph or less. Whenyou come to a nice hammock or bayhead, hop out hunt it.If there's no hogs, back in the truck.If your going to still hunt, do it at night. I've seen more hogs deer hunting at night than anytime else. No need to get up at 4am

Hope this helps

farmerjohn

10-4!