Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

hog processing

Old 10-01-2005, 10:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default hog processing

think of me what you must, i really don't care! but of all the hogs i have shot my life maybe two have processed. anyway, i am going to get a couple or three to the processor the next time i go out. so my question is, how do you get your hogs processed? do you have it done like a normal pig at the plant or is there a special cut job that you request from the butcher? from what i read, i will only take the 40 to 150 lb ers to the market for processing. what do i ask for? thanks
Old 10-02-2005, 11:40 AM

Default RE: hog processing

i skin and quarter myself and just fix a quarter at a time.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on what they have been eating even the large ones are good eating. We've shot them up to 550 lbs and they have still been good to eat. Though we feed corn year round so they are all well fed. This weekend I cooked some ribs from a 350 lbs boar and a friend of mine refused to try them because of the size of the boar. He said they would not be any good to eat, but after he smelled them he finally decided to try one and he loved it. In other areas depending on what they have been eating they start to taste really strong when they get larger. Though as far as processing we process all our own. We quarter them up within a hour of being shot and keep them on ice for about 5-6 days before we cut them up. By keeping them on ice you can drain the blood out of the meat and it makes a big difference on the taste. You just drain the water off and add more ice as needed.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

When my son's were in High School they took agg.and raised hogs. Was very intersting. We took them to be processed at the Texas Tec. meat lab and learned a few things.
I talked to a FDA inspector about wild hogs and his reply was that if he had to inspect the wild hogs he would have to destroy 98 % of them. He also told me if I wanted to have one processed to get a small one 75 to 100 lbs. and then cook the you know what out of the meat.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:55 AM

I process all of my own meat. In regards to those that say not to eat wild hog. Just this I have been eating them for most of my life and nothing has happened to me as a result!