Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

NILGAI

Old 08-24-2005, 09:00 PM

Default RE: NILGAI

Elkinmtcwb, I was not in any way implying youd be shooting your nilgai out of a truck. I was only stating that nilgai are not known asbeing veryhard to hunt.They were released in portions of south Texas in the Kingville/Padre area as a replacement for cattle, if that tells you anything. They are stupid animals. My freind has a ranch near South Padre Island, and they are everywhere, on free ranging land. We were just screwing around on his ranch during the spring and we had no trouble getting within50 yards of them without any camo. They pretty much travel in herds so that makes it slightly more challenging.It should not be difficult for you to get one. As of the moment I am not sure of anyone who makes nilgai calls so you may be out of luck...Your best bet is spot and stalk whether or not they are in rut or not. By the way i have never heard any the park you are talking about but a quick search on google turned up a few results. Texas is not known for its public land hunting..... but goog luck to you.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:23 PM
Typical Buck

Dang Texhookem I will be hunting cows :{ If they are this eazy I may just shoot pigs :}I was told there is lots of pigs down there.The park is not far from south Padre Island.I was told they go off the park at night on to privet land to feed than back to public land in the day time.

Have you heard them make any sounds? I have over 20 cow elk calls 12 or so deer calls and work open reeds very good.I allso use a diapham very well.Allso yote calls. So if I can just get close to knowing any sounds they make I will bring every call I have that is any where close. I am very sure I will beable to make there calls if I can just know kinda what they sound like.

What are the pig numbers like down there?

TY tex
charles Bradford
Old 08-25-2005, 08:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks for the pick Rebel Hog, I wasnt sure what one looked like. I live in Texas and have seen lots of the exotics (never had a chance to hunt any). Its nice to start learning what they all are called. The big thing in South Texas are the Axis deer, Gim bucks (sp), sika, red stag, and the likes. Most ranches like the critters with the big racks. I guess its a male thing.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:47 PM

I am not aware of any sounds they make but im an sure they make some kind of sound. I think it would be some type of bark almost, similar to an axis deer.But I really would not worry about it. I have never heard of anyone hunting nilgai with calls. Just try and spot some and stalk them.The pig situation is out of controlin some parts of texas. We are pretty much overrun with hogs, so you have a pretty good chance getting some. I killed9 of them last deer season and3 more in the spring. Ive only gotten one this summer cuz no animalsmove around much when its 107 degrees and they visit the tanks(waterholes) at night. They are a real nuisance to ranchers and farmers.If i am correct on the location of the area youll be hunting there may also be some javelina. If you are not familiar with javelina they look likea small pig, but arent really relatedto pigs at all.Look up a few pics of javelinas and youll easily tell the difference betweenthem and a hog.They are pretty much considered varmints and they dont taste to good, but they are fun to shoot.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:00 PM
Typical Buck

Ty bud
Boy I would like to know what kinds of sounds they make I like to call animals in with a hand call.Javelinas are off limits in the park :{ I would shot them if I could though.I like the pig thing hope I get a few chances at them. Not a big deal if I get to kill a lot but I shure would like to get some chances.

Are Nilgai curious animals ?