Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Possible problem with 35 Whelen loads... >

Possible problem with 35 Whelen loads...

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Possible problem with 35 Whelen loads...

Old 03-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Spike

Pulled some bullets with a kinetic bullet puller and reloaded with Winchester primers. On every cartridge of this batch it was a misfire, and when I re-****ed the bolt (simple up and down motion with the bolt handle) the rifle fired. When I switched to cases loaded with Remington primers each one tried was a misfire and re-****ing did not work except in one instance. The next range outing will be with Federal primers.

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Just do what RR told you to do and quit second guessing.

Put a piece of tape (scotch or masking) on the bolt face (I put it on the case head of a unfired cartridge... either will accomplish the same thing). If the bolt is hard to close then you don't have a headspace problem.

This is a cheap and quick way to use a factory cartridge as a no-go gauge.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Spike

Thanks. That's a simple thing to do.

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
cin, back your sizing die up 1/8th turn. you've got one of 3 things going on
1) your oversizing making your cases too small
2) your chamber is slightly oversized
3) you got a bunch of junk in your bolt keeping the striker from operating correctly (or possibly a weak spring, but unlikely)
backing your sizer up a bit will solve the first 2.
RR
Old 04-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Cinaed
I made sure every primer was flush & flat. It's easy to do when loading primers with the Lyman 310 tool. I don't think I'm oversizing, but I *will* recheck my sizing procedure.
Primers need to be resesed below the cartridge head not flush that is one of the most common reasons for miss fires the other is oil contamination form hands or the cases being reloaded.

With that said from your post it the gun not the rem primers if so they would do the same in your 358win. I use a RCBS hand primer and only buy primers by the case Federal 210M to be exact for my 35rem/358win/35whelen. I also shoot alot of rem ammo and never had an issue with it or any ammo for that matter in over thirty five years of shooting.

I will add most ammo issues are not from the manufacters but from handling and storage from indviduals
stores.Smae with componends which are far more affected by exposer to moisture and temperature changes

Also try parcial sizing not full lenght resizing its something that is only to do with the whelen and most likely from your information the gun.

Last edited by TJEN; 04-13-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ridge gave you some very good advice, you should follow it. This definitely sounds like a headspace issue which the Whelen can be proned to due to the small shoulder and a slightly oversized chamber. Adjust your sizer so that it doesn't push the shoulder back as far or neck size only.
Exactly. i've owned several new .35 Whelen guns. Two of them gave misfires with factory cartridges due to excessive headspace. Adjust the resizer die so that it does not push the shoulder back and the problem is solved. Better yet get the gun rechambered for .35 Whelen Improved.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:38 PM
Spike

Talking Hornady ammunition works!

Just did some test firing with new Hornady, factory ammunition, which are loaded with Federal primers. No misfires, hangfires or other annoying occurrences. :-) Every shot was true. It's a beautiful thing. This rifle groups quite nicely; I don't think I'll change a thing. Thanks for everyone's advice.