Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 sniper rifle for hunting? >

sniper rifle for hunting?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

sniper rifle for hunting?

Old 04-25-2005, 05:54 AM

Default RE: sniper rifle for hunting?

If your rifle can shoot every round you fire from 100 yards into a 1" pasty, you can declare your rifle a "sniper rifle" if you so choose.
Wrong! There is much more to it than that. If that is the only criteria, then all finely tuned target rifles would be considered "sniper rifles" (oh, and prefer the term "tactical rifle"). A true tactical rifle must be built tough to withstand the various drops and falls associated with it's deployment, something that a hunting rifle and especially a target rifle are not built to do.

Don
Old 04-25-2005, 07:36 AM
bigcountry

from reading everyones post , noone knows the definition of the phrase "sniper rifle".

the definition of a sniper rifle is......there is no definition. well the liberals have a definition, their definition is this Sniper Rifle - Your bolt action hunting rifle. its just a intimidating phrase to be used to refer to a bolt action rifle........... kinda like a shotgun with black synthetic stocks and a shortened barrel is refered to as an "Assault weapon"..............
Well, you can split hairs all you want but us common folk pretty well have a handle on what a sniper or tactical rifle is. I know I do. I know a FN SPR A3 is not marketed as a hunting rifle to me. I know the 700P is not marketed as a hunting rifle.
I know a HS Pro Series 2000 Tactical is not a hunting rifle.

Why do you think HS has a tactical page. Or Remington has a page called remingtonle.com or FN, or everybody. I think a bunch of common sense can go a long way here. Do you believe that HS FN, and remington are a bunch of liberals? They market these as "tactical" police rifles with certain aspects needed for that work. Mil Specs and private specs by certain agencies.

Most of these modern sniper/tactical guns are way to heavy to be used as a hunting gun. I know I had one built and packed it around Newfoundland 10 miles a day. And figured out quick that it was not smart to have a 11lb rifle on a trip like that.

Old 04-25-2005, 07:38 AM
bigcountry

Wrong! There is much more to it than that. If that is the only criteria, then all finely tuned target rifles would be considered "sniper rifles" (oh, and prefer the term "tactical rifle"). A true tactical rifle must be built tough to withstand the various drops and falls associated with it's deployment, something that a hunting rifle and especially a target rifle are not built to do.
Exactly, not too many people like to spend over 200 dollars for a badger ring setup on a 308. Again common sense can go a long way here. Being Mil Spec compliant is not as easy as it sounds according to FN.

Old 04-26-2005, 05:31 AM

Here is an example of a "tactical" rifle. FN SPR with a McMillan A-5 stock, Badger base and rings, and a Leupold 3.5-10x40LR M3 scope. With a weight of about 14 lbs, I don't believe I'll be taking it hunting anytime soon.

Don
Old 04-26-2005, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

from reading everyones post , noone knows the definition of the phrase "sniper rifle".

the definition of a sniper rifle is......there is no definition. well the liberals have a definition, their definition is this Sniper Rifle - Your bolt action hunting rifle. its just a intimidating phrase to be used to refer to a bolt action rifle........... kinda like a shotgun with black synthetic stocks and a shortened barrel is refered to as an "Assault weapon"..............
Well, you can split hairs all you want but us common folk pretty well have a handle on what a sniper or tactical rifle is. I know I do. I know a FN SPR A3 is not marketed as a hunting rifle to me. I know the 700P is not marketed as a hunting rifle.
I know a HS Pro Series 2000 Tactical is not a hunting rifle.

Why do you think HS has a tactical page. Or Remington has a page called remingtonle.com or FN, or everybody. I think a bunch of common sense can go a long way here. Do you believe that HS FN, and remington are a bunch of liberals? They market these as "tactical" police rifles with certain aspects needed for that work. Mil Specs and private specs by certain agencies.

Most of these modern sniper/tactical guns are way to heavy to be used as a hunting gun. I know I had one built and packed it around Newfoundland 10 miles a day. And figured out quick that it was not smart to have a 11lb rifle on a trip like that.

there you go, you said it your self, marketed as "tactical police rifles" NOT SNIPER RIFLES..............
Old 04-26-2005, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

but besides that, the liberals are targeting our hunting rifles, already the mainstream liberal and non educated public dont know the difference between a tactical rifle and our bolt action hunting rifles. its the liberals tactic, you know that aswell as i do Big country, that the liberals play on the mainstream publics ignorance to gain support for their agenda to ban ALL GUNS , the liberals are out there to grab all of our guns, and thats how they are gonna get even our bolt action hunting rifles, they will make people think a hunting rifle or tactical quote sniper rifle are the same thing. perhaps i wasnt very clear before, does this give a better picture of what i was trying to get at??
Old 04-26-2005, 07:28 AM
bigcountry

Maybe I understand what you a saying. I thought for a second there you were trying to convince me there there was no such thing as a tactical/sniper rifle.

Old 04-26-2005, 02:31 PM

I'm with a Scout/Sniper Platoon, and though I am only in week 4 of sniper school at Stone Bay, I'd have to go ahead and say that yes, a "sniper rifle" can be classified as any rifle that holds 1, not 1.5, but 1 MOA or less.

Not a word a liberal uses, not a random word thrown out by the media, but a no ****, 8541, school trained scout/sniper and the rifle he uses.

Semp.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

This should put the MOA discussion into relevant context....

The current record for longest range sniper kill is 2,430 metres (7,972 ft), reportedly accomplished by a Canadian sniper in 2002, during the invasion of Afghanistan, using a .50 BMG McMillan bolt-action rifle. This meant that the round had a flight time of four seconds, and a drop of 44.5m (146 ft). The previous record was held by Carlos Hathcock, achieved during the Vietnam War, at a distance of 2,250 m.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:03 PM

I don't see how that puts MOA into a relavent context.

First of all, a .50 BMG, such as the Barret, isn't a sniper rifle, it is a SASR, Special Applications, Scoped Rifle, simply because it doesn't hold a MOA. If that is what you meant, then yea, I understand, otherwise, you'd have to clarify.

Quick Reply: sniper rifle for hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.