Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 sniper rifle for hunting? >

sniper rifle for hunting?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

sniper rifle for hunting?

Old 04-28-2005, 02:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: sniper rifle for hunting?

(carefull wit your discription of a troll ... you may have offended several people who will now seek therapy and will probably need some government funding for a support group, on our dime )

BLAHAHAHHA!!!
Old 04-28-2005, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know much about anything here... but if I had to define "sniper rifle" I'd just say that it is the weapon of choice for a sniper, and leave it at that.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:12 PM

You can believe me, as this is my job.. or you can believe what you read on the net. Choice is yours.

That max eff for their listing is wrong, though.. it's over 1800m
Old 04-28-2005, 03:20 PM
bigcountry

/

Old 04-28-2005, 04:03 PM

In response big, I'd say that they should. This is not a pissing match, but more of an awareness. If you all, who are well developed and experienced gun owners and hunters start using words such as "sniper" out of context, then that makes you no better than the media outlets who label lunatics such as the "DC Snipers" as "snipers," when they are nothing more than psychopathic murderers.

Just my bit.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can believe me, as this is my job.. or you can believe what you read on the net. Choice is yours.
Float it is almost inconcievable to me that you could make a statement that is so ignorant of basic facts.
You are attempting to say that you are more knowledgable about the US Army than the US Army is about itself! That is absolutely unbelievable. Next I expect you will tell us that the US ARMY doesn't really know what a sniper is!

This it not meant to be personal. However the ease with which people discount known facts is simply amazing.....

The following was published by The Association of the U.S. Army in ARMY magazine in 2003.

The Army’s selection of the Barrett M82A1M as its new XM107 .50-caliber sniper rifle is already enhancing U.S. Army sniper teams. In fact, the need for the firepower increase was so great that the systems arrived in Afghanistan with their XM designator still intact. "It’s an XM because we haven’t completed full materiel release on it yet," explains Lt. Col. Rob Carpenter, U.S. Army product manager for crew served weapons (under Project Manager Soldier Weapons within the Program Executive Office Soldier). "But we’ve been buying and fielding the weapon under an urgent materiel release based on what we know about it: it is safe and it meets our requirements operationally. We have already started putting them out in the field; we have probably fielded over 200 of them now with the majority of the first 100 or so going straight over to Afghanistan into the AOR [area of responsibility]."

According to Carpenter, the beginning of the XM107 program dates back to the mid-1990s when Army planners began looking for a heavy sniper rifle in .50-caliber. The requirement generation and subsequent acquisition process focused on a bolt operated .50-caliber design, primarily based on the prevailing belief that bolt-action guns were inherently more accurate than semiautomatic designs. The researchers went through down-selection but they were not really happy with what they came up with. So they started looking at the autoloader candidates that were on the market. And to pass the ‘make sense’ test, they checked what the Marine Corps was using and saw that they were using the M82. "It was off the shelf and, from an economy standpoint, if some other government agency is already buying, we could tap into it. So we made some minor tweaks in the way the package was equipped and we came up with the XM107 program," he added. In its U.S. Army application, the XM107 will serve as a supplement to the current M24 7.62 mm sniper weapon system. We’re not replacing M24s. We are supplementing them and actually increasing our sniper capabilities with a long-range anti-materiel system," Carpenter said.

Here is the link to the entire article.
http://www.ausa.org/www/armymag.nsf/(soldier)/20034?OpenDocument
Old 04-29-2005, 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: etothepii

I don't know much about anything here... but if I had to define "sniper rifle" I'd just say that it is the weapon of choice for a sniper, and leave it at that.
well put!
Old 04-30-2005, 08:16 AM

Float it is almost inconcievable to me that you could make a statement that is so ignorant of basic facts.
You are attempting to say that you are more knowledgable about the US Army than the US Army is about itself!
First of all kid, I'm not in the Army. I am a Marine. Hence the def of a MARINE Scout/Sniper. Hence the mentioning of 10th Marines, who are Arty. Hence the use of LAR, who are Marines.

Now, you tell me this, are you so ignorant of basic military branches that you consider the Army to be the Marines? To a Marine sniper, the Barrett is a SASR. A Special Applications, Scoped Rifle. It is not a sniper rifle. Sniper's are not the only ones that use it. It is not a precision rifle capable of making precision shots because it cannot hold a MOA or less.

The SR-25, is a sniper rifle. It holds a 3/4 MOA. The M40A3 is a sniper rifle, it holds a MOA. The Barrett .50 Cal SASR is not a sniper rifle. It is a SASR.

Oh.. and to answer your question of whether I think Army sniper's aren't snipers. Well, the Army quite frequently sends their boys to our school...

But hey, like I said, keep surfin' the net... the internet is proof of everything, right? Kind of like a library, instead of real world experience....

Why say you've been there and done that, when you can just look it up and quote it, right?
Old 04-30-2005, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Next I expect you will tell us that the US ARMY doesn't really know what a sniper is!
Boy saw that one coming...lol
Old 04-30-2005, 08:28 AM

Oh.. and to answer your question of whether I think Army sniper's aren't snipers. Well, the Army quite frequently sends their boys to our school...
I'd hope you saw it coming, I made it pretty easy for you.

EDIT: I am in no way saying that the Army has not produced some of the best sniper's in the world. The man with the highest confirmed kills in Vietnam was an Army sniper. I remember reading an article about one of them in Iraq from Tennessee about a year ago that really layed into them. The Army has produced some cut and dry badass marksmen, capable of doing their jobs and doing them well.

My point has always been that to be classified a "sniper rifle" (and if you've noticed I've always put that in quotes, as it is a loose term), it has to hold a MOA or less. This is due to the precision nature of the job. The SASR simply does not hold a MOA, and therefore it is not a "sniper rifle," in my opinion, the opinion of many 8541s in the community, and I'd be willing to bet it is the same with many Army snipers. Unfortunately, I can't go ask one, because I've only met one.

But, I can tell you this, the guys living next door to me, across the quad and various others will tell you that the SASR is not a "sniper rifle," and shouldn't be classified as one.

Do you classify the M4 as a machine gun? No. But why not? You can flip the selector level to "auto." Isn't a gun that shoots automatically without having to redepress the trigger a "machine gun?"

What about the Stoner in vietnam? Was that a machinegun? It was a modular weapon that could shoot automatically, without having to redepress the trigger. What about the AK? Yes, no?

Do you see where I am going with that? Just because the SASR has a scope and can be used for sniper missions, does not make it a sniper rifle. Just like all of the above, doesn't make those rifles (carbines) a machinegun.

Who was around in the 60s? I wasn't, but I'm pretty sure nobody ever said Lee Harvey Oswald shot JFK with a "sniper rifle." I'm pretty sure they called it a hunting rifle. But why, then was it not called a sniper rifle? It had a scope.. he shot him from a concealed position.. so, what changed politically between then and now?

I'll tell you, we did, and that needs to change again.

Quick Reply: sniper rifle for hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.