Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Slug Question >

Slug Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slug Question

Old 03-25-2005, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Slug Question

Thanks for the follow up Kbrum...I think it all worked out well as this post can now be referenced by anyone who wants most of the facts on rifled slugs/sabots.
Stick with what you like, and as you can see if you want any ideas on the Sabots just ask!
Old 03-25-2005, 06:52 AM
bigcountry

a longer barrel only slows the slug down with friction
Where did you get this data? Did you chrono first hand or more internet reports? Man, you won't let it go will ya. He asked if he could. We said yes, you and others jump on here telling everyone it will lead up your barrel, now it slows down the slug.

Shooting rifled slugs isn't that big of deal as you make it out to be. Especially when most shots are under 70 yards I bet.

Old 03-25-2005, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stick with what you like
I am not sure with which part of the above statement you are still concerned with Bigcountry?
Old 03-25-2005, 08:04 AM
bigcountry

I guess with all the craziness you are coming up with. Slowing down bullets, leading, man I am wondering if you ever cleaned out lead in your life or ever had more than 2 slugguns in your life.

Old 03-25-2005, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Craziness?.......Lets move on now Bigcountry. This started as a healthy informative debate, now you are moving way off the topic, and getting personal. This discussion is benefitting no one....Thx Jeff
Old 03-25-2005, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hear what you're saying Bigcountry about the accuracy Mossy was getting with Brennekes.
Just wondering what he's shooting gun and slug-wise?

If anyone is intrested, go to the BrennekeUSA site and check it out thoroughly. They've been in the business for many more years than any of us have been alive, I trust them. Their slugs are designed for BIG and DANGEROUS GAME, not just deer specifically, they understand what it takes to pit an animal down.

Their site states that their rifled slugs are fine for rifled barrels. I use them. I sit alot of field edges and like to have a slug that can make the distance when necessary-I choose the 12 gauge 3-inch Gold Magnums. I also shoot the 2-3/4" heavy field magnums.

I shoot an H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe and Mossy's groups seem good to me (if not a little on the marginal side-LOL). I too enjoy exceptional accuracy. Don't get me wrong here fellas, my son has an H&R like mine in 20 gauge and it's a tack driver for sure, but it strictly likes Remington Copper Solids and not really anything else.

Believe me I've tried all the sabots out there. Spend probobly a thousand dollars looking for some miraculously accurate slug, the "magic bullet". But didn't find anything as accurate as the Brennekes. I have come to the realization that I wasted a thousand dollars and stick with Brenneke. The best Brenneke's are like half the cost of the cheapest sabots.

The Gold Magnums packing 1-3/8 oz. are devestating! I know some young bucks might want to argue (so find a mirror) but I've shot plenty of deer that you'd think got hit by a giant hammer from the sky. I mean down hard. I hit a small buck opening day this year, right at sun up and about 75 yards, that was certainly dead before it hit the ground. Never even flinched again.

But remember, this post is just my opinion and nothing else really matters.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 03-25-2005, 10:39 AM
bigcountry

This started as a healthy informative debate, now you are moving way off the topic, and getting personal. This discussion is benefitting no one....Thx Jeff
Your right I appoligize.

Old 03-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

I hear what you're saying Bigcountry about the accuracy Mossy was getting with Brennekes.
Just wondering what he's shooting gun and slug-wise?

Uncle Matt (in IL)
I have built a very inexpensive slug gun. I took a Rem 870 Supermag and bought a 20" RIFLED slug barrel. I then borrowed 2 boxes of Brenneke 2-3/4" RIFLED slugs from Bigcountry. I went to the range and got horrible groups from sluggers......so I switched to the Brennekes, and they gave me 1.25-1.5" groups @100 yrds off sandbags.......brought the gun home and scrubbed it, and found minimal dirt, if anything powder was what I cleaned out the most. Range tested....Mossy approved!!!! Rifled slugs in a rifled barrel with normal fouling. No expensive $12 partition gold supermax mag heavy hollow point stuff for me just $5 Brenneke's
Old 04-25-2005, 07:03 AM
Spike

All,

I just shot these yesterday to try to get my scope sighted.

http://www.winchester.com/products/c...use=3&gauge=12

As BigCountry mentioned, they sure do leave a lot of lead in the barrel. I had to clean it 3 times!

I put 15 slugs in a 12 inch group at 100 yards. I think I stated getting sore and began to wander. I think I'll had more success with Sabots and an easier cleaning job. I learned a lot.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Kbrumback

I think I'll had more success with Sabots and an easier cleaning job. I learned a lot.
Isnt this what its all about? Live, experience, learn, drink a couple beers, hook up with some chicks, and then get the hell off this planet???!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Slug Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.