Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Fees for shipping to an FFL >

Fees for shipping to an FFL

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Fees for shipping to an FFL

Old 09-12-2002, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fees for shipping to an FFL

I'm going to purchase a barreled receiver and will have to have it shipped to an FFL dealer. What are the standard fees for this kind of thing. The purchase price of the barreled receiver is only $55.00 but the cheapest shipping charge I've gotten from the local dealers is $50.00. If I can't find anything cheaper I'll ask the dealer if buying $50.00 or more of ammo and accecories would help him see his way to lowering my shipping charge. If any of you have experience with this type of FFL shipping charge let me know.

Old 09-12-2002, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fees for shipping to an FFL

8mm that's to much.I don't know where you are located but here in my area (Florida) it runs on the average of 20.00.I've seen it as low as 5.00 but that's extremely rare.If I were you go to www.gunsamerica.com and they have lists of receiving dealers in your area.You type in your telephone area code.That will bring up the list of receiving dealers in that area. It gives the fees charged.All you have to do is get a signed FFL from the dealer and send it to the seller.I've used a local pawn shop a couple times and his fee is 10.00 plus 5.00 for the call in. Now the shipping costs and insurance are between you and the seller.All the dealer is doing is a gun transfer to you.Hope you can find an honest dealer. Ruger Redhawk

Support the NRA...Protecting our Gun Rights and Freedoms is everybody's responsibility. Ruger Redhawk A proud NRA Life Member since 1977.
Old 09-12-2002, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger-Redhawk,
Thanks for the reply. I felt it was too much also, but the guy I got the $50.00 price from is a small time dealer that is trying to stay in business. I thought about (as I said above) going in and giving him some busines by buying a load of accessories and ammo I would purchase anyway (the guy belongs to my gun club also) and thought if I gave him the other retail business he's knock down the price. I do have a pawn shop nearby that might be my best bet. I'l try to link you gave. Thanks for the lead.

Old 09-12-2002, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your welcome 8mm, I'm all for helping the little man out if they are within reason. Just because he's a small dealer doesn't mean he should charge absorbent prices for these services.A couple dollars is one thing. Twice or three as much as others charge,I think is going overboard.I've bought a couple guns through my dealer.Not much after that I find the same gun @ Bass Pro Shops for allot less money. I realize my dealer buys one or two at a time.Where Bass Pro buys them by the truck load. The little man can't compete with the big dealers. Ruger Redhawk

Support the NRA...Protecting our Gun Rights and Freedoms is everybody's responsibility. Ruger Redhawk A proud NRA Life Member since 1977.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:44 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-13-2002, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might want to check either Auction Arms or Gunbroker.com, one of these sights has a list of FFL holders by state. Alot of these FFL holders don't have a shop but specialize in ordering firearms for a lower fee than you would find at a gunsmith or sporting goods shop.
ANother route to go is to make an arrangement with a dealer to give you a break on the price if you order several guns. A local smith charges me around $20 a gun if I buy more than one at a time, though I've seen shops that will charge upwards of $50 no matter how many you order. If they don't give me a break on price, they don't want my business enough for me to come back and buy anything else from them.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms... who's bringing the chips?
Old 09-14-2002, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

It really depends on where you are. Like here in the PRNJ where I unfortunately live the cheapest places are $ 30 and some are as high at $ 70. While where my buddy in PA lives the average is $ 3 - $ 7, big difference huh. The main reason for high fees is that some states make it almost impossible for an FFL to stay in business and make money, through fees, bonding, insurance, etc., and who ends up paying, the consumer. For instance in the PRNJ to obtain a class 3 FFL you have to go through the entire process of meeting all of the class 1 requirements, just to have a collection and have things shipped to you.

Edited by - thndrchiken on 09/14/2002 12:52:25
Old 09-14-2002, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I appreciate the hints, especially about locating the FFL's in my area by accessing the FFL lists on Gun broker.com and Auction Arms. I have located a couple more good prospects and e-mailsed and/or called and left messages. They are WAY cheaper than the other few I've contacted previously.
thanks for the ideas guys

Old 09-14-2002, 12:53 PM

All great advice above. I have a local dealer who charges $25.00 for any transfer. I know several others that charge a %. One I know charges 10% of the cost of the item (he's a gunsmith with a FFL) and another charges 20% of the cost of the item. Shop around and check with gunsmith's and stores. Good luck to ya'. Scott

Tick a Liberal Off, Buy a Hand Gun!
http://tscott.fws1.com

ONE NATION UNDER GOD!