Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
most reliable gun. >

most reliable gun.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

most reliable gun.

Old 09-12-2002, 09:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default most reliable gun.

lets say someone offers you 1 million dollars to shoot a deer. the only problem is the weather might be nasty maybe 30 below zero or maybe freezing rain. another catch you only get 1 SHOT and it MUST drop the deer right in its tracks!

now what gun THAT YOU HAVE would you choose? what would be your "go to gun" something that you know will never jam and will have enough power to drop a deer right there. just curious what you gyz have to think about this.

POST A GUNREVIEW TODAY!
http://gunreviews.to.gs
Old 09-12-2002, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: most reliable gun.

I'd grab my Browning A-Bolt in 7mm-08.It would get a thorough cleaning removing all oil then lubed with a teflon-based lubricant.Freezing rain would mean I'd be wearing waterproof clothes so the rifle would be under my jacket while on stand(just to be on the safe side-we're talking a million bucks here).Ammo would be what works best in my gun-140gr Cor-lokts.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:59 PM
Spike

As much as I'd love to say my Win 88. I'd have to go with my Rem 788 .308. I've shot everything through this gun. From 60's vintage military ammo, to EXTREMELY WARM handloads. This cheap, kinda ugly little rifle will eat anything. It always feeds properly, makes a bang, and puts all the bullets right where they're aimed! Imagine that, the gun mom bought dad for a anniversary gift 'cause she didn't know any better, just will not quit. Oh, and if I can't kill it with a .308, then it should eat me.

You can't eat what you miss!
Old 09-13-2002, 12:02 AM

There is no such thing as a gun that is guaranteed to drop a deer right where it's standing. There are to many variables to consider like size of the deer, angle of the shot, speed of the bullet, size of the bullet, weight of the bullet, design of the bullet, distance of the shot, and the tenacity of the deer. Not all deer are alike, just like not all people are alike. Deer are also different sizes in different parts of the country. I've seen deer shot with the same rifle and caliber, same distance, size of the deer the same and they act differently. Some cartridges are better than others, but no such thing as one that's guaranteed to drop a deer on the spot. I'd also choose what ever felt and shot best for me and that is probably a different gun for every person. What I like and shoot best is most likely different than what you'd choose. My go to gun is a SAKO Hunter in 7mm-08 it's never failed me, but your choice would probably be different and neither of us is wrong, just different.
Old 09-13-2002, 04:42 AM

in those conditions i would grab either a pump rifle or a bolt action.something with a nice fiberglass stock and either stainless barrel
but if it is just one shot i don't think a action will make any differance cause there is a round in the chamber.

Old 09-13-2002, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Savage 300 Win Mag. It is stainless with a custom laminate stock. Then again, I wouldn't have a problem taking any of my guns except 2. I wouldn't even think about my 22-250 or my 30-30.

rednekhuntr, you are right about those 788s. I inherited one from my uncle in 243 that the barrel had been damaged by water from a leaky roof. I rebarreled it to 7mm-08 and it is a sweet shooting rifle. Too bad they don't make them anymore.
Old 09-13-2002, 08:10 AM
Spike

Generally speaking - any rifle built on a Mauser 98 style action in the .30 caliber class. Experience speaking - first choice would be my CZ/Brno 600 in 30.06 with a 180gr handload.

Heaven is best viewed from a deer stand at sunrise in the forest
Old 09-13-2002, 08:44 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-13-2002, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Remington 870

Old 09-13-2002, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

My custom built on a 700 remington stainless action and chambered in 7mmstw has taken many animals in all conditions and when ballistic tips were used not one animal required tracking.

Quick Reply: most reliable gun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.