Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Pistols - Can't we all just get along? >

Pistols - Can't we all just get along?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Pistols - Can't we all just get along?

Old 03-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default Pistols - Can't we all just get along?

I think it is funny reading all these anti-glock, anti-1911, anti-berreta, anti-hiPower posts...

Can we all agree that they all serve some purpose in the market...

I personally own a Ruger P95 (which I am selling), a Tactical Springfield XD 9mm, a Kimber Team Match 1911, a Bersa Thunder 380, a Walther P22, and a Ruger Mark II... I have handled many other pistols including glocks, berrettas, HK's, and Sigs...

Here are my thoughts...

The 1911 is hands down the most accurate semi-auto pistol there is out there. (period). They are the best target guns, but they are not the most reliable in my opinion, this might be because they are accurate (tight fit) and tend to be somewhat finiky on ammunition.

The Glock and other wondernine (sigs, HK's, etc.) are the most reliable pistols, you pull the trigger and 99.9999% they go BOOM. To me the glock is ugly and really doesn't fit many peoples hand well (Steyrs, XD's/HS2000's, Sigs, HK's tend to be better) but is at the top of the class in terms of accuracy and reliability. They are by far (next to the 1911) the most customizable pistol out there and benefit from amazing amounts of accesories.

It is amazing to me how defensive Glock owners get when defending their purchase.... They are really fanatical. Look, the Glock is an Amazing weapon and it has a well-deserved reputation. But why slam people like me who prefer some other wondernine. (in my opinion the XD). I think many of us basically understand we are buying a glock.

Oh well I feel relieved!
Old 03-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pistols - Can't we all just get along?

Berettas are prettier, are made of metal, are just as reliable as Glocks, and they don't have the tendancy to blow apart when least expected like glocks

Its more of a matter of taste I gues, not unlike taste in women. Some men like beauty and nice curves, other like blocky looking glocks.

1911s run the gambit. They can be 100% reliable combat pistols or they can be dressed out tight fitted bullseye pistols, or race guns. Its the most customizable gun on earth. Most of the time poor reliability has more to do with the equation of garbage in=garbage out. bad ammo, poorly fitted or engineered aftermarket parts, cheap magazines, incorrectly tensioned springs and other treatments people give to their 1911s are what give it a reputation of poor reliability. On the other hand a professionally ramped 1911 can be set up to feed wadcutters every time- try doing this with your glock or sig.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

1911s run the gambit. They can be 100% reliable combat pistols or they can be dressed out tight fitted bullseye pistols, or race guns. Its the most customizable gun on earth. Most of the time poor reliability has more to do with the equation of garbage in=garbage out. bad ammo, poorly fitted or engineered aftermarket parts, cheap magazines, incorrectly tensioned springs and other treatments people give to their 1911s are what give it a reputation of poor reliability. On the other hand a professionally ramped 1911 can be set up to feed wadcutters every time- try doing this with your glock or sig.
Well said... Although I have what I consider a great 1911 (Kimber Team Match) and it is not 100% reliable (as my XD is), but will easily hit a bullseye at 25 yards. But then again the reason I got the gun was for accuracy so I guess I can't complain.

On a side note - For those of you whom were like me and were considering purchasing an XD... DO IT!!! You will not be dissappointed... Wonderful gun!
Old 03-12-2005, 07:47 PM

Amen to "garbage in=garbage out." After a years-long dry spell, I started shooting my handguns again a fw weeks ago, and have been reloading .45 and 9mm in large quantities. I am having a ball with my PJK-9HP (Hungaring Hi Power knock off) and my Series 70 Gold Cup. I also just bought a Springfield GI 1911-A1 just for giggles. The only reliability problems I've had, i.e. FTF or FTE are with my own reloads. I've made some subtle screw ups setting up my dies and am re-learning the nuances of making reliable reloaded handgun ammo. I've also learned when fast burning powder is better than slower burning powders.

I've made no mods to any of my weapons; the Gold Cup has more accuracy potential than I do at this point, and the Hi Power and SA 1911-A1 are both surprisingly accurate if I do my part.

When I decided I needed a new handgun, I went out looking at what was available. Funny thing is, none of the new breed of pistols appealed to me much; the only ones I saw that appealed to me were Browning Hi Powers and the various makes of 1911s, models I already have examples of. I have no doubt that the Glocks, Sigs, Kahrs, Ruger autos and others are fine weapons but they just don't make me want to pull out my wallet. Some of the new S & W autos look ok to me but I'm still not quite over their sell-out to the anti gun crowd just yet. The Springield GI 45 was just about what I needed, and I'm not sorry I got it. WIsh I could see the sights though...
Old 03-12-2005, 09:17 PM

I get along with my pistol just great - it's a SIG
(model 239, 9mm)
Old 03-13-2005, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hell, these forums would just about dry up if you didn't manufacture controversy. It's who we are. "My stuff is the best, it sucks to be you." Ford/Chevy/Dodge, Winchester/Remington/Browning, .45/9mm, 30-06/300WSM, bolt action/semi-auto. I think some people post some of that stuff just to "Kick the anthill" so to speak.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone is going to rave about what they own and dump on everything else. If somebody had one problem with a particular model, they automatically discount that make and evry model they make. It's not going to change. Firearms tend to be a very big "pride" thing and most will shoot down one while they brag up another. If it's mine, it's priceless, if it's someone elses, it's worth $20. Happens all the time. Just way too many "experts" that believe everything they read in the gun mags. I have my personal favorites but I'm not going to dump on another make/model just becasue I don't own one or know of a probelm one had. there are makes I won't own just becasue I do demand a minimum amount of quality. There are some models I won't own because I don't neccessarily like the overall look or feel. I know I disagree with what some think and say but hey, to each thier own. I buy what I like, you buy what you like and we're all happy. No reason to dump on each other.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:16 AM

I've got a bunch of 1911s. I've shot in bullseye matches with them. Then I was turned onto accurized Berettas. Not cheap at just under 2K but they shoot circles around any 45 I"ve ever shot anyway. So it may not be fair to say the 1911 is the most accurate.

FWIW I don't care what they look like as long as they shoot well.

Of course the controversy will always be there, same as why my Ford is better than your chevy....

Jeff
Old 03-13-2005, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

If somebody had one problem with a particular model, they automatically discount that make and evry model they make.
I can see what you're saying, but I too have done just this. When I was in the Corps I carried an M9 on a daily basis (I was an MP), and I grew to absolutely HATE that weapon. I thank God every day that I never got into a shooting situation with that darn thing. Can you say "STOVEPIPE!" Anyway, as such, I will never even consider a Beretta 92F, even though I know them to be much better built that the hunk-of-junk mil-spec version.

Mike
Old 03-13-2005, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hell, these forums would just about dry up if you didn't manufacture controversy. It's who we are. "My stuff is the best, it sucks to be you." Ford/Chevy/Dodge, Winchester/Remington/Browning, .45/9mm, 30-06/300WSM, bolt action/semi-auto. I think some people post some of that stuff just to "Kick the anthill" so to speak
Ain't that the truth!

Quick Reply: Pistols - Can't we all just get along?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.