Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Anyone have a .22 mag? >

Anyone have a .22 mag?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone have a .22 mag?

Old 03-29-2005, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone have a .22 mag?

I've got a silly question but I have to ask. I heard you can shoot .22lr in a .22mag. True or false?

Also can you shoot a .22 short in a .22lr?

Thanks
Tom
Old 03-29-2005, 12:42 PM
DM

A 22 Mag. case is a lot bigger around and longer than the lr case, so the lr case "will" go in the mag. chamber and "will" fire the lr case. BUT, it will split the lr case, and isn't a good thing to be doing!! Don't do this as it really isn't safe!!

Yes, you can shoot a 22 short in a lr chamber, but you will have to clean out the chamber if you fire very many shorts in it so the lr's will again chamber easily. The short will gum up the chamber ahead of the short case but it doesn't really hurt anything.

Drilling Man
Old 03-30-2005, 01:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: aborquez18

Alright old timer, no need to get butt chaped. Notice I said my OPINION?
And thats your opinion. So please keep those comments to yourself, if you feel the need to give me a lecture because I dont want to hear it.
Hehehe. First off.....I am 30 years old, so that does not consitute as a "old timer" secondly if you choose to make idiotic statements please have data to back them up, such as.......I own both and and would choose one over the other because...etc. I have made an educated, informed opinion based on hours of varmit hunting with each of the calibers mentioned....how bout you?? As usual someone comes on here bashed one caliber over the other, and has no idea what their talking about. Maybe if you listened to what the "old timers" on here had to say, you may learn something. But judging by your post count, I would say you are here to be heard not learn, so do whatcha gotta do.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:24 AM
bigcountry

Alright old timer, no need to get butt chaped. Notice I said my OPINION?
And thats your opinion. So please keep those comments to yourself, if you feel the need to give me a lecture because I dont want to hear it.
Goodness, some people have so much freaking time on thier hands. Don't you hate it when you get freaking English teachers on a forum like this.

Old 03-30-2005, 10:12 AM

I need a .22 Mag since Ive found out that the .17 M2 wont kill a fox at 100yd [:'(]
Old 03-30-2005, 02:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 22 Mag is more rifle that the 17 HMR. Heavier bullet more killing power as well. I some places the 22 Mag is legal for deer. Its not a deer rifle but I have seen it used as one. A varmit hunting friend of mine has trouble killing yotes with a 17 HMR.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats 17HMR, and ya its a little better than a 22Mag in my opinion.
I dunno James.........according to aborquez18 the .17 is better, (maybe he'd like to tell us why???
Old 03-31-2005, 10:05 AM

Yeah, I do own both and Ive never had under 1" groups with my 22mag like a do with my 17hmr. And as far as varmint hunting I bet Ive hunted just as much as you, if not more. I have never had to pump more than one round into a fox or a bobcat with my 17 and have never had as much pelt damage as a 22mag leaves. So basically when it comes down to it the 17 has more velocity and better trajectory than the 22mag, not to mention the wind drift is less in a 17hmr than a 22mag. Ok so maybe the bullet is a little hevier, BIG DEAL! Anyways I wouldnt choose either of them over my 223 or 204. So there you go. Good enough for you Mossy?
Old 03-31-2005, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I do own both and Ive never had under 1" groups with my 22mag like a do with my 17hmr. And as far as varmint hunting I bet Ive hunted just as much as you, if not more. I have never had to pump more than one round into a fox or a bobcat with my 17 and have never had as much pelt damage as a 22mag leaves. So basically when it comes down to it the 17 has more velocity and better trajectory than the 22mag, not to mention the wind drift is less in a 17hmr than a 22mag. Ok so maybe the bullet is a little hevier, BIG DEAL! Anyways I wouldnt choose either of them over my 223 or 204. So there you go. Good enough for you Mossy?[

Now you see aborquez, that was a decent post! you explained yourself, didnt go off telling people to keep opinions to themselves, etc. I may not agree with you, but at least I know what you have based your opinion on. Now for my opinion which you may not agree with ....but thats ok!!

Yeah, I do own both and Ive never had under 1" groups with my 22mag like a do with my 17hmr
This could be a number of things, gun manufacturer, bullet choice etc... (I have some brands of 22 mags that under no circumstances will shoot decent in my gun)

I have never had to pump more than one round into a fox or a bobcat with my 17
This statement has alot to do with shot placement and the ability of the shooter....the .17 leaves a smaller margin of error.

Anyways I wouldnt choose either of them over my 223 or 204
Yes I agree with you but, its comparing apples to oranges.....shooting varmits with a rimfire is much more challenging and rewarding. (IMHO of course )
Old 04-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Typical Buck

I have to agree with Mossy...I have a .22 mag and my buddy has the .17. The price of shells are identical here. As for groups, they are pretty similar but on windy days mine is a little better. His shoots at longer ranges with less drop, but less hitting power. Most gophers will attest I would recommend the .22 mag for critters and for plinking, but a .22 lr will definately be WAY cheaper. But my love for gopher shooting is about more than just the money. I just bought 2 bricks of Fed. .22 Mag TNT's for $210. Most people can't believe I would "waste" money on shooting varmints. But the stress relief is cheaper than an hour with a shrink No more fighting...were all friends here! JDinAB