HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone have a .22 mag?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2005, 11:20 PM
mossy33oak
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone have a .22 mag?

ORIGINAL: aborquez18

Yeah, I do own both and Ive never had under 1" groups with my 22mag like a do with my 17hmr. And as far as varmint hunting I bet Ive hunted just as much as you, if not more. I have never had to pump more than one round into a fox or a bobcat with my 17 and have never had as much pelt damage as a 22mag leaves. So basically when it comes down to it the 17 has more velocity and better trajectory than the 22mag, not to mention the wind drift is less in a 17hmr than a 22mag. Ok so maybe the bullet is a little hevier, BIG DEAL! Anyways I wouldnt choose either of them over my 223 or 204. So there you go. Good enough for you Mossy?[

Now you see aborquez, that was a decent post! you explained yourself, didnt go off telling people to keep opinions to themselves, etc. I may not agree with you, but at least I know what you have based your opinion on. Now for my opinion which you may not agree with ....but thats ok!!

Yeah, I do own both and Ive never had under 1" groups with my 22mag like a do with my 17hmr
This could be a number of things, gun manufacturer, bullet choice etc... (I have some brands of 22 mags that under no circumstances will shoot decent in my gun)

I have never had to pump more than one round into a fox or a bobcat with my 17
This statement has alot to do with shot placement and the ability of the shooter....the .17 leaves a smaller margin of error.

Anyways I wouldnt choose either of them over my 223 or 204
Yes I agree with you but, its comparing apples to oranges.....shooting varmits with a rimfire is much more challenging and rewarding. (IMHO of course )