Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Headspace excessive or not? >

Headspace excessive or not?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Headspace excessive or not?

Old 03-06-2005, 02:46 PM
bigcountry

Default Headspace excessive or not?

A good buddy of mine just got a Encore and put a 15" barrel for a 7mm08 on it. He was shooting 140gr silvertips. 3 out of 20, failed to fire even with a dimple in the primer. The dimple was not near as deep too my liking but I figured still would fire it off. I also noticed out of the two boxs he had, the primer was alot deeper than my likeing. I figure it for excessive headspace problem. But groups at 100yards wasn't bad at all. If it was headspace I figured that would suffer some.

So I take the three duds from box 1, and 3 rounds from a new box and measure with a head and shoulders gauge. I then measure the fireformed (ones that would fire). I got a 7mil delta. (.007"). Is this excessive? None of my rifles have near that much slop in the chamber. .004" is the most I see.

I figured we could troubleshoot with a encore frame I have to see if that firing pin worked. And take the duds and see if it fires in my 7mm-08 remington.

I know a bunch will say send it back. But I would like to troubleshoot before needlessly wasting money on something that may be an ammo problem and I can fix for myself. I find the WLR Primers to be very hard anyway. I bet Fed 210's would have fired.

I apreciate advise on those who know headspace.

Old 03-06-2005, 05:55 PM

Default RE: Headspace excessive or not?

Simple test, try firing his ammo in your gun. You could also put scotch tape over the head of a case and try to close the gun. Each piece of tape is about .002" then compare this to yours and see what you find out. Some factory ammo, in particular Remington and Winchester is rather slopy these days, so as you mentioned you could have a ammo problem. You might try the Federal stuff, in our shop that is what we promote and seems to be the best quality control.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:17 PM
bigcountry

Simple test, try firing his ammo in your gun
Well, I understand that, but what I am trying to find out is .007" excessive in gunsmithing world? I plan to fire it in my gun try my encore frame.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:42 PM

go-gauge spec 1.630" no-go 1.634" This should give your answer.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:55 PM

Yes,.007 is excessive but look at it this way.Your go and no go gauges have .0004 difference, so then that leaves .0003 of an inch less the firing pin is going to hit the primer.besides the headspace issue,i would check your firing pin,for being the right specs.and or broken and in place. vangunsmith
Old 03-06-2005, 09:15 PM
bigcountry

Excellent info. Thanks guys, I will pass it on to him.