Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking for a Serious Gun Safe

Old 01-07-2002, 10:45 PM

Default Looking for a Serious Gun Safe

Hey folks, I am looking to purchase a new gun safe soon. I have inherited about 14 weapons in the last 6 months, including a 1st Gen. Colt SAA (ya-hoo!!). My little 8 gun Homak just ain't gonna cut it no more. I am needing a safe that will accomodate 20-24 guns (thinking of future additions also). What do you all have, and what would you recommend? Thanks for all your help!!!
Old 01-08-2002, 04:41 AM

Default RE: Looking for a Serious Gun Safe

I just got a new safe last summer. a Liberty safe. real good deal,has good lining and large capassidy.
check out there webb site.www.libertysafes.com

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:53 AM

Browning!!
Make sure your safe is fire-proof. Most of them are now. And large enough to hold ammo and any household documents you might protect in a lock box at your bank.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bugler...I have posted on here about how I built one.

Here's the copy of the post I made:

"I helped a buddy build one in his basement out of blocks. Neither of us are
masons...but it turned out nice. Good fire protection and we put a nice hidden door
for concealment. Total cost of an 8x10 room....$675 and that was with many extras.
We put it in an existing block corner and only needed to block 2 walls. He put in an old dehumidifier and it works like a charm."

Some advice...use fire resistant insulation and fire resistant ceiling tiles. Also you can have somebody weld you a door or spend the cash on a fire-proof door.

Only problem is that if you ever move, you can't take it with you.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 01-08-2002, 08:42 AM
bigcountry

Liberty safe, hands down has the best fire protection you can get. I got a browning, but wish I would have got the liberty lincoln series.

Old 01-09-2002, 12:08 AM

Sportsman Steel Safes out of Long Beach CA. Best safe you'll ever own, and the least expensive. They are right up there with Fort Knox, Liberty, etc.... The quality is supurb and the finish, duability is awesome. I don't know why other safes cost so much.

A final word that should sell you. Sportsman Steel safe company holds the government contract for all of the Pentagon's new safes! They have awesome ceramic plates internally for 2300 degree fireproofing for 60 min.

If the pentagon uses them, coupled with their fantastic prices, you cant go wrong.

Look for them on the www. Sorry, I don't have the URL. for them. Im sure you can find them at http://www.dogpile.com or yahoo.
Old 01-09-2002, 12:15 AM

Thanks for all the replies!! I have been looking at the Liberty and American Security's so far. Hk45USP, haven't heard about Sportsman Steel, but I will definitly research and see what the ship costs will be.
Old 01-09-2002, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

You guy would love my basement of my apartment. The building was built to the original owners specifications and he apparently was a retired ATF agent. It measures 9’x22’ and the thinnest wall is the ceiling which is 6”-8” (my bedroom floor) of high-pressure concrete used for high rise reinforcement. I burnt up two drill bits and gave up trying to put hooks in the ceiling. The rest of the walls are aprox 12” thick cement, block, and brick combination. It has an exhaust system and a thin (solid 1/3” thick) safe door for entry. The best thing is the new owner doesn’t even have the combo, but I took the disk lock apart and figured it out. For some reason it tends to spook people when I take them to my Recreation room. Go figure!
Old 01-10-2002, 04:57 AM

bugleboy!!!!!!! I found the URL.... Go to:
http://www.sportsmansteelsafes.com

You'll love them. Check out the beautiful new "double door" safe they have. All locking bolts are 1" thick. Great safes for you, me and the Pentagon!