Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 NEF .204, not pleased. >

NEF .204, not pleased.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

NEF .204, not pleased.

Old 02-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default NEF .204, not pleased.

I shot mine to day for the first time, I think its the scope, All I had was a cheapo buck ridge scope to mount on it today, I was getting about 2" groups at a 140 yards, I think it should do better, not satisfied with that, I will probably do some more scope mounting in the near future.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: NEF .204, not pleased.

It should come around after you run some ammo through it. You might want to take some jb or Flitz and polish the bore.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

James I think it was the scope, its was just one I had laying around, I think it came on a Muzzle Loader package deal, I will try a different scope, I have talked to too many people that are getting great groups out of the NEF .204 to think that its the gun.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

he missed the point didnt he?? a fresh bore usually doesnt exceed its accuracy potential untill you put atleast 100 round through it, the jb bore paste helps speed that process up and usually can devirginize ( break in the barrel ) with 40 to 50 shots when using the bore paste. when a barrel is new it has rough spots in the rifiling which need to be smoothed out before your gun will be its most accurate. I really doubt its the scope especially the 204 being as low recoil as it is, unless the mounts were loosening up I would check the mounts before singling out the scope as the problem, but honestly if its a new gun I would lean more towards the fact the barrel is not broke in yet. good luck
Old 02-06-2005, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

No I did'nt miss the point, I have saw more scopes that would'nt group than I have new barrels that need to be " devirginized" to shoot a decent group, I can try another scope for about 3 rounds and tell you whether its my gun or the scope instead of shooting a 100 bucks worth of ammo in hopes of fixing the problem.