Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Moose/Deer Combo... what rifle? >

Moose/Deer Combo... what rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Moose/Deer Combo... what rifle?

Old 01-29-2005, 04:55 AM

Default Moose/Deer Combo... what rifle?

My wife is great. She's an avid hunter and shooter.... tells me she'd really like to take a moose in her life, so why not take this year's vacation to go moose hunting. So, we're really thinking about booking a moose/whitetail combo. If so, we both are only taking one gun each. She's already decided on her Youth size 30-06 (mainly because she's so small she needs the youth & the 30-06 is the stoutest caliber she owns). I am really liking the idea of my 35 Whelen. If I take the Whelen, I'm kicking around the idea of loading it with Federal's 225 grain TBBCs. I have great confidence in the moose, but would like to get some feedback from you guys who have shot the TBBC at whitetail. Do you feel I'll get enough expansion on deer? My other option would be 250 grain softpoints. Give me your thoughts and experiences on expansion of the bear claw.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Moose/Deer Combo... what rifle?

While I have not used them in a 35 Whelen I have taken elk and mule deer with 140 grain TBBC's out of a .270. They provided excelent penetration and expansion in both elk and deer.

I recovered one on a large cow elk under the skin and it was an absolute text book mushroom and did massive damage on the way through.

IMHO it is one of the best all purpose bullets made. The ballistics of the bullet could be a little bit better but at any practical ranges it gives up little in speed and energy and certainly makes up for it with its very high weight retention.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:03 PM
bigcountry

Broey depends on where you are shooting moose and deer. Where I hunt in newfoundland, all the shots are very open and ususally >200 yards. 35 Whelen drops off pretty quick. They say southern newfoundland its more brush, and shots alot closer. The same for other Canadian areas.

Old 01-29-2005, 10:02 PM
Fork Horn

My long range whelen load, using a 225gr Sierra SBT, when zeroed at 225yards is only 7.5" low at 300 yards. I wouldn't shoot too much farther than that anyway. That should be plenty distance for moose hunting pretty much anywhere.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

30-06
Old 01-30-2005, 11:04 AM
bigcountry

True Josh, but I have had to shoot farther than 300yards. And my 300RUM has more penetration IMO than your 35 whelen at 500 than the 35 at 300. Just an opinion. Alot of people get wrapped up in drop, but don't consider, a 300RUM has energy at 500 that a 30-06 would at say 250. Hey, either one works great. I love the 35 whelen. And in shots under 300, and broadsided, I bet it would go straight thru both lungs on a Moose. I have only experience with wide open land moose hunting. I would rather it be up close so I could actually get close enough to remember the experience of the animal with my bare eyes than thru a scope. Thats why I am considering in the future quit northern newfoundland and try Western Canada.

That open land up there, you are lucky to get 100 yards away. And actually watching the animal is half the fun.

Old 01-30-2005, 12:26 PM
Typical Buck

I use 180 gr Barnes in my 30-06 for deer and elk. And plan to use it for Moose if I ever draw a tag as well.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:16 PM

Because you are takin' your wife, you deserve a new rifle. Get a Classic model 70 Featerweight in .338 Mag. [8D]