Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which Pistol To Choose? >

Which Pistol To Choose?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which Pistol To Choose?

Old 01-27-2005, 09:59 AM

Default RE: Which Pistol To Choose?

nothing beats a 12 for home defense, but there are times when you need to take your home defense away from home. I LOVE my Glock. I have the 23, .40 and it is a great all around hand gun for the money. Everything said about the safeties, it is going to shoot when you pull the trigger, and it points better than any gun I've ever shot in it's price range. The other thing I really love about it, for a guy that is completely mechanically retarded (myself), I can break it down in two seconds without tools and keep it spotless. Very important for any weapon, especially home defense. glock is also a weapon I would buy used, as they are durable, which may let you get that 12 gauge everyone keeps talking about to boot!
Old 01-27-2005, 10:10 AM
bigcountry

.357sig is hot. will get 1350fps. sport car of pistol cal
Just a opinion. But I would stay away from this round. I have a barrel for it for my glock, and 1000 pieces of brass. I reloaded for it. It has problems with the short neck and lack of neck tension. It will push the bullet back in the brass and can cause severe pressure. I know factory ammo will have more neck tension, but after seeing what I seen reloading, its the hardest round to work correctly I have tried I would never buy it.

I had to buy the sleeve for a 9mm crimp die, and put in my 40 S&W crimp die, and put the hardest crimp I could.

Also, looking at the energy numbers, and even Power factor numbers, the 40 is so much better of a choice.

Figured I would share my experience with you guys.

Old 01-27-2005, 01:41 PM

Go with the Glock! I disagree that Glocks are ugly guns. I guess that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Those Glock 18 fullautomatic pistols are cool!
Old 01-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I echo the statements made by Bearbong. I also have a Glock 23 and it is darn near idiot proof. Perfect for me! You could do alot worse!!!
Old 01-28-2005, 07:48 PM

I have a Paraordnace p-13 and tac 4 , both in .45
Remarkable guns (much better than my browning hipower "practical"9mm)
Old 01-28-2005, 07:52 PM

I don't like glocks ! I shoot Hivel +p .45 w/165grn bullet
or total copper bullet. triple tap = 3 holes real close !
Old 01-28-2005, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the Glock Safe Action system, broken down Barney-style: Pull trigger, gun go BOOM! No pull trigger, gun no go BOOM. Doesn't get any more basic than that.

Which are all fine and good but the trigger safety is overrated. Most people who shoot themselves with glocks are those who absentmindedly holster their gun while their finger is in the triggerguard.
No offence to you Briman, but if someone is stupid enough to holster their weapon with their finger in the trigger well, or simply violate the Third Safety Rule (Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to fire), then their newfound, and well deserved, limp will serve as a stark reminder of the virtues of proper gun handling techniques. No amount of safetys in the world will save an idiot from himself. Manufacturers could make a gun more complicated than a 1040 Long Form and some retard would still figure out how to shoot himself, or somebody else with it, but it still wouldn't be the gun's fault.

I personally like the Glock's a great deal. A custom match-grade 1911 they are not, nor are they meant to be. They are rugged, dependable and accurate enough to serve their purpose as a defensive weapon well. They are a no-frills combat pistol that is meant to be carried and used under the most extreme circumstances. If I had to go into a firefight with nothing but a pistol, then I'd take a Glock over a "nickle-plated-sissy-pistol" any day.

Recently I've also had the opportunity to size up the new Springfield XD's, and I will say that I am impressed. They point very well in my hand (I hear that from a lot of people), seen to be reliable (time will tell), and the price is right. I would definately buy one to try out should the opportunity to buy another handgun arise in the near future.

Mike
Old 01-29-2005, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Driftrider- everytime I here about a cop shooting themselves, its almost always with a Glock and for the reason I stated, I've even heard of a ferderal agent doing putting a bullet in his thigh doing the same thing. If we are to listen to the Brady bunch and their ilk, we would believe that only law enforcement officials are smart enough and well trained enough to own and carry a handgun

Like you said, the only way a Glock could possibly go off is if the trigger is pulled, its a fine design. I've shot a few glocks, but they don't do much for me.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:57 AM
DDC

A question for those who favor external safetys - how many encounters end tragically because the guy with the defensive handgun forgot to flip off the external safetly in the heat of battle? We have all had some experience with this during the excitement of hunting big game. Think how much more panicked we will be when some miscreant is coming at us with a 6 inch blade?

Also, for the cocked and locked 1911 fans, do you always remember to reengage the safely before holstering? That error likely happens much more frequently than holstering a glock with a finger still on the trigger.

Beauty is as beauty does, and for that reason the Glock is gorgeous. My model 36 is light, easily concealed, and fires the powerful .45 ACP every time I pull the trigger.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also, for the cocked and locked 1911 fans, do you always remember to reengage the safely before holstering? That error likely happens much more frequently than holstering a glock with a finger still on the trigger.
You perform the way you train. When shooting the 1911, my thumb rides on top of the safety. when don't shooting, my thumb goes under the safety pushing it into the locked position. Maybe Glock fans are too dumb to be taught this?[:-]

Quick Reply: Which Pistol To Choose?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.