Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which Pistol To Choose? >

Which Pistol To Choose?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which Pistol To Choose?

Old 01-23-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Which Pistol To Choose?

Im looking for a good quality 9mm pistol for targets and possible home defence. I have looked at the glock 17, taurus pt99, Steyr M-1a, S&W model 910. So far the glock seems to be my favorite but I'm hoping for imput from people with more knowledge on this subject matter!
Old 01-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Which Pistol To Choose?

I'm a Law Enforcement firearms instructor. I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly in combat handguns. Glock makes a fine handgun, in terms of function and reliability they are top notch. As far as cosmetics, remember they are not made to be pretty, they are made to work. Sig also makes a nice handgun, I have a P226R .40/.357SIG great shooting gun. H&K makes a nice gun. It's hard to go wrong w/ these 3 (Glock, Sig, HK)

The 9mm is a nice round w/ the new ammo avaliable and don't let anyone tell you different. The newer 9mm +P+ rounds are smoking! The Winchester Ranger 127gr "T" series has a muzzel velocity of 1250 fps.

Take a look at the .357SIG also. It puts up some nice numbers.

Handguns just punch holes anyways. There is no such thing as knock down power, this "ain't" the movies. It's all about how fast you can get it to go and how fast you can get it to stop. Velocity and expansion......transfer of energy.

Nothing beats a shotgun for home defence
Old 01-23-2005, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

Oh ya my suggestion, given your intended purpose would be a Glock 17.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a Browning Hipower, A S&W 915 and a Ruger. All in 9MM. These all shoot well. See which one fits your hand the best. Many Gun stores that have ranges will let you try out some models. If you have one of them in your area, take advantage of it.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:28 PM

Glocks are okay, I guess. I just don't like 'em. The S&W 910 is a good gun too.
My 9mm is a Sig 239. I've had various semi-autos before including Colt 1911 & Gold Cup (45ACP), S&W 39, 59, 469, 6906, Walther PPK/S (380ACP), and used others such
as Barettas, HK, etc. Have to say this Sig is the best little pistol I've ever had. Very
accurate, reliable. Sig 239 = a good gun!
Oh yeah, ammo = Fed. HydraShok 135gr.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with jdreddish, The Glock's Sig's and HK's are the tops.I don't have a Glock 17 but have a Baby Glock M-27. Great little gun. I have a Sig P245 which hasn't been fired much. It's a fine piece. Years ago I had a old HK P9S in 45. Great gun I'm still kicking myself for selling it.I guess the new 9mm loads pack a punch.I've never been much on 9mm for defense.It's been a long time since I carried a 9mm.I had a Glock M-26 sold it B/C of being a 9mm. I have a Browning HP which are a nice gun. There again I don't carry it B/C of it being a 9mm.After reading Jd's comments I need to check into these new 9mm cartridges.I might have second thoughts.For the money a Glock is a hard package to beat.Ugly or not it does what it was designed to do.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-23-2005, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Life's too short to shoot an ugly gun. Get a Browning High Power or Beretta 92.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look at the S&W Sigma .
I have 1 in 40 and love it .
It is a Glock like gun ( S&W lost a law suit and has to pay Glock for each Sigma sold ,that how close they are )
Old 01-25-2005, 12:04 AM
Typical Buck

I personally don't much care for them, but like others have said, the Glocks are a fine defensive weapon. They weren't made to look pretty, just work and they do that very well. Like James B said, go to a dealer and handle as many different ones as you can and see which ones fit your hand the best and go from there.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:28 AM

Hard to go wrong with a 9mm Glock. My duty weapon is a Glock 22 and my off duty weapon is a Glock 27. Both have performed 100% through thousands of rounds. I have shot a ton of Glock 19's & 17's and they have all performed great.

Another option to look at is the Springfield XD. A great pistol, with the polymer frame but a lower bore axis then the Glock. My XD9 4" has performed 100% and is very accurate, especially with Corbon 125 JHP +P.

Quick Reply: Which Pistol To Choose?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.