Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which Pistol To Choose? >

Which Pistol To Choose?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which Pistol To Choose?

Old 01-25-2005, 03:37 PM

Default RE: Which Pistol To Choose?

i love my baretta 96ss it is my on and off duty weapon. i have a browning hi power in 9mm but i always cary the beratta.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a fan of the Glock safety system. If given the choice between a Glock and the Springfield XD, I'd take the XD any day, just because of the extra safety. Other than that an H&K would be very hard to beat, it would b my 1st choice for a personal defense weapon.

For home defense, I'll take a shotgun with an 18" barrel and pistol grip any day over a pistol. Pistols shoot through wall way too easily. You always have to be more aware of what's on the other side of the wall if you shoot at somebody with a pistol. A shotgun loaded with #2s or so will expel most of it's energy withing the wall if you happen to miss your target. ANd it will rip nasty holes in your target if you do hit it.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:15 PM
Fork Horn

The Glock actually has 3 safeties

a trigger safety, firing pin safety and a drop safety. While they are not traditional crossbar safeties, they actually function well. The biggest thing you have to remember here is the glock's purpose. It is a COMBAT handgun. It was not designed with average joe civilian in mind. If you chose to own one of these handguns you need to realize that. It is a COMBAT handgun...there is no traditional safety. It was made to fire when you pull the trigger and at no other time.....thats what it does.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:20 PM

agree with Dish, glock is about as dependable as you can get, easy maintance. not pretty.
model 31/32 .357sig is hot. will get 1350fps. sport car of pistol cal.

However that 12 gauge will NEVER FAIL YA!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2005, 02:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Glock actually has 3 safeties

a trigger safety, firing pin safety and a drop safety.
Which are all fine and good but the trigger safety is overrated. Most people who shoot themselves with glocks are those who absentmindedly holster their gun while their finger is in the triggerguard.

The biggest thing you have to remember here is the glock's purpose. It is a COMBAT handgun. It was not designed with average joe civilian in mind. If you chose to own one of these handguns you need to realize that. It is a COMBAT handgun...there is no traditional safety.
If its such a great combat handgun then why doesn't the military use it?
Hint: because it doesn't have an external safety.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:53 AM

If its such a great combat handgun then why doesn't the military use it?
Hint: because it doesn't have an external safety.
Dont be so quick to say that, Ive heard rumors....turns out the beretta 9mm nato doesnt perform very well in the sand box.....Spec forces and secret service still uses the HK (cough cough)have two of them(cough cough)
Old 01-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

I just bought a Springfield XD over a Glock. The XD fit me better and it was cheaper, so it wasnt a hard decision. Plus it is an awesome shooter, very accurate.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:10 PM

So the glock pistol doesn't have a system where the trigger can be completly dissabled like the traditional cross bolt?
Old 01-27-2005, 12:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've been pondering buying a hand gun for some time now but there always seems to be something else. I have looked at just about every one under $700. There are only two that I like enough to buy, One is the Springfield XD and the other is the Walther or S&W 99 (basically the same gun). These two aim very naturally for me and are very comfortable in the hand. They are about as safe as a hand gun can get and they don't cost an arm and a leg.

Glocks aim like crap for me but that's my hand.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:26 AM

Prarie_Boy1,
To begin with I don't consider the 9mm as a home defense weapon, or even a personal defense firearm/cartridge! From my POV, it is more along the lines of a 30-cal or even a 25-cal pistol cartridge.
When I've tutored folks for home defense, my first option for those not experieced with pistols is a 12-ga shotgun! My second recommendation is for any other lesser gauge shotgun. I've NEVER recommended a 9mm pistol. Think about this. ANY pistol cartridge you use, how does it compare to a 12-ga shotgun? What is the one sound everybody seems to know, an 870 Remingtion racking a round in the chamber! Now, what do you think any felon is thinking when they here that sound?

Quick Reply: Which Pistol To Choose?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.