Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Winchester 94 ranger Lever action... >

Winchester 94 ranger Lever action...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester 94 ranger Lever action...

Old 01-16-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Winchester 94 ranger Lever action...

Would you take one in .44 Mag or .357 Mag? I thought it would be a nice gun to the collection. Found one for $350 new, is the price right?
Old 01-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Winchester 94 ranger Lever action...

Personally, I'd only "take one" if someone was Giving it to me...Winchester doesn't know how to make their 94 action cycle pistol cartridges worth a d@mn, and typically their accuracy and quality is a bit less than satisfactory, especially in newer models...in .30-30, the 94 is great, but not in pistol cartridges.

The Marlin leveraction 1894's are much better rifles. Rossi's are also nice, and Ruger's .44mag isn't bad, but ugly, and rather pricey.

Just comparing the two .357mag and .44mag, I'd pick the .44mag. I'm a huge .44mag fan, so I may be biased, but it's a much more capable round. It costs a little more to shoot, if you're just planning to plink with this gun, but for any hunting, the .44mag will serve you better.

$350 is a typical price for a new Ranger 94 pistol cartridge rifle, but you won't convince me to buy one for that much, like I said, you'd almost have to give it to me.

To put in into perspective, I bought a Ranger 94 Compact (typically compacts are more expensive) for $292 in .30-30 a month ago, the same price was on the .357mag version.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree, I'd pick up the Marlin before the Wonchester. The Marlins are much better built and much stronger. They aren't nearly as sloopy and cycle much smoother.

I also agree with picking the 44 mag over the .357 mag.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the input! I will have a look at the Marlins too then
Old 01-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I currently own a Marlin 1895 in .357 mag. I won it in a raffle and I couldnt trade up or pick another caliber. My feeling for this gun is simple, I just dont have any use for it. Its too big to squirrel hunt with, too small for deer, and not a good distance gun for groundhogs. I bought a box of 50 rounds for it when I won it (4 years ago), and have yet to use it up. If I found someone who was dying to have one, I would trade it in a minute, problem is, nobody wants to give anything for it. It basically takes up space in my cabinet and looks good in line with all of my other lever actions, thats it!
Old 01-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mossy, I'd disagree with your statements about the use of the .357mag rifle, especially a marlin. No, it's not a great long range gun, but I'd venture that with a LITTLE practice you'd get proficient enough with it to hunt coyotes out to 150yrds without much praying involved.

Personally, I very much disagree that it's too small for deer. I've used the .357mag, in revolvers, rifles, and once in a Desert Eagle pistol for deer in the past. While I favor the .44mag to the cheaper to shoot .357mag for power, the .357mag is quite capable of taking deer at "medium" ranges. Too many people call 600yrds long range, in all honesty most hunters never take a shot over 200yrds. The .357mag rifle, especially with rounds handloaded to meet the potential of the Marlin rifle is capable of taking deer out to around 100yrds. Choose your bullet wisely and place it well and it will kill a deer at 100yrds, I've done it myself.

As far as taking squirrels or other small game, I've really enjoyed using a .357mag for squirrels and rabbits in the past. I used to keep a Marlin 1894 .357mag in the truck to use for problem skunks other varmints, mostly spent time shooting rabbits with it.

I've also used it for coyote and bobcat hunting. No, you don't take a 300yrd shot on a trotting coyote like I can with my "Varmint rifles", but it's a lot lighter and nicer handling. I often hunt coyotes off horseback, it's a lot handier to carry a 5.8# .357mag with 10rnds than to carry an 11.3# .22-250 bolt gun with 5rnds.

It's a great little round, use it to its full potential and you'll enjoy it. Underestimate it's full potential and you'll have it "taking up space in your safe."
Old 01-19-2005, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Nomercy

Mossy, I'd disagree with your statements about the use of the .357mag rifle, especially a marlin. No, it's not a great long range gun, but I'd venture that with a LITTLE practice you'd get proficient enough with it to hunt coyotes out to 150yrds without much praying involved.

Personally, I very much disagree that it's too small for deer.
Well, I think maybe I should clearify myself a little better.

#1 NO COYOTE in a 5 county radius of me
#2 Not legal to hunt deer in MD with a .357 (not enough fp/energy)

so like I said, pretty much usless beside plinking for me.