Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 44 Rem. Mag Winchester lever action... >

44 Rem. Mag Winchester lever action...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

44 Rem. Mag Winchester lever action...

Old 02-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 44 Rem. Mag Winchester lever action...

I’ve been thinking about getting a Winchester Model 94 Trapper in the 44 mag for self defense from bears for around the yard but was wondering how good the 44 would handle the task.
This is a nice short rifle that looks like it would handle very well in heavy woods and I was thinking of getting one before they’re all gone. I also know that the 44 mag. is not a long distance gun and would be used for under 100 yards. Any thoughts about the 44 mag.?
Old 02-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 44 Rem. Mag Winchester lever action...

They are about as fun a gun as you can own. Cheap and fun to shoot. Load it down for small game or HOT for moose and Black Bear. When Winchester went under, my newphew and I went out and he bought a trapper and I bought the Lecacy with the 24 inch barrel. I also have it in the Marlin. The Marlin will shoot three shot groups at 100 yards where all the holes atr touching. My advice would be Grab one. Its short range but the 44 Mag will take anything in North America with the right loads. Bullets from 180 to 325 grains are available. Accurate NO 9 and H110 work very well for loading it.

I have a NEF in 44 Mag as well. That one will soon be reamed to 445 Super Mag. Its a do it yourself job and will boost performance by 200-250 fps. Is it as cold up there as it is down here? 22 below for tonight.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

for black bears it's likely fine. Handload the 300 grain bullets and it's surprising for penetration. Be prepared for some recoil as well. The 44 mag is a surprising cartridge in a rifle.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:17 PM

Trailer, Looking at the ballistics of a 44 magnum in a rifle round, it is actually comparable to the 44 mangum ballistics in a handgun round. The higher velocities and energies given to the rifle because ofits longer barrel length. In that ( themore time the projectile spends in the barrel, the greater the velocity becomes) and so on.

As it has been said in many previous posts, a handgun is not really the "best" choice for fending off bears;But you didn't state which type of bears that we are talking about yet. Although you arethinking about purchasingthe rifle, the ballistics are very similar to the 44 mag (handgun)with the samebullet diameter and bullet weights. Anyways with all that being said,the larger revolvers are always recomended (but not advised)for such applications. With the 44 mag being in the line up of the larger revolver types along with the .480 the .500 s&w....ect. ect.

So I would say that your 44 mag could fend off bears,but if I had another choice to go with a harder hitting round, I would probally go with that.

I understand you want to get a winchester lever action before they are all gone....did you ever think of getting a winchester lever actionin 45-70 ? I would much more recomend thatround for the bears ( but I dont know if you could even find one now?)

Good luck with getting your hands on the gun you want....and hold on to that winchester if you do buy it
Old 02-17-2006, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

James, thanks for the info. I’ve always wanted a 44 Mag and and I should take advantage of this situation before the 94 Trappers are all gone. The price hasen’t gone up either since the news about Winchester.

By the way, it’s going down to -40° Celsius tonight. ( -40° Celsius = -40° Fahrenheit )...
Old 02-17-2006, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buck, thanks for the info. My maine purpose for this rifle is something to have around in case of black bears. I have a number of other rifles that would handle the situation with the bears but wanted something easy to handle and to cary around on my ATV when cutting fire wood. I might consider getting a 444 Marlin a little later...
Old 02-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Vapo, It’ll be interesting to see what kind of recoil that 300 gr. bullet will have if I get one...
Old 02-17-2006, 09:16 PM

I had an early model 94 in 44 mag. and it was pitifully inaccurate so I sold the piece of junk, ( that's any rifle I can't get to shoot well). The model 96 Ruger lever action seems to be reasonably accurate and light and handy, although of a more modern style. I think the Winchester line of guns will be produced by another company, instead of just dissapearing from the market. Although the lever actions are so outdated as to not be of much of a loss. They can't compete with marlin in quality or accuracy. Some of the Itallian imports are beating them.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Out dated rifles are still of use to some of us who would be considered by you to be out of dated hunters.Something that worked for 150 years will most likely still work. The critters have not been updated either.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Typical Buck

Trailer, the 44 mag is a fine gun for blackbear I have killed 3 with mine
one broadside 50yds.with rifle in lungs ran about 100 yds.
one facing sitting on haunches 50yds.shot between front legsonly ran 25yds.
and one with my redhawk40yds.broadside lungs ran 60 yds.

Martinfaw

Quick Reply: 44 Rem. Mag Winchester lever action...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.