Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rust Removal >

Rust Removal

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rust Removal

Old 01-11-2005, 09:06 AM

Default Rust Removal

My first 12 gauge has been stored in some pretty undesirable places, and being a virgin gun owner at the time, as you can imagine not the best for rust prevention. I didn't shower with it, but you get the picture. Showing some surface rust, and was wondering ways to remove and protect going forward? thanks. this site is great, by the way.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:30 AM
Spike

Default RE: Rust Removal

Put a good grade of gun oil it and take 0000 steel wool the rub it down.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:53 AM

Thanks Mike. What would be considered a good grade gun oil?? I've normally just used remmington gun oil or wd 40 in maintenance, but I'm assuming there is something better for this purpose?
Old 01-11-2005, 09:23 PM

i found a .22 lr once that was heavily rusted. i got an sos pad some steel wool and scrubbed the crap out of the gun under the sink to wash away the rust. once i finished the gun looked silver and i thought i had ruined it. i went to a local sporting goods center and bought some blueing liquid and applied it over the whole gun as the directions said and when i finished the gun looked like new. just a thought if ur gun is very rusted
Old 01-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bearbong as suggested use 4ought (0000) steelwool. WD40 is okay for this.Other then that I wouldn't recommend using WD40 on your gun.There are much better lubricants suited for firearms.Saturate the steelwool and lightly rub the spot.Don't go overboard rubbing or you'll remove what blue is left.For rust protection I use a sheep skin wipe saturated with RIG (Rust Inhibiting Grease). RIG is avialable at most gun shop and shooter supply wholesalers.After 30 plus years of owning firearms never had a rust problem. Been using RIG most of those years.It's inexpensive, and a little goes a long way.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-12-2005, 03:47 PM

Thanks for that tip. does the RIG have to be wiped down off the gun before you take it out and use it again?
Old 01-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bearbong

Thanks for that tip. does the RIG have to be wiped down off the gun before you take it out and use it again?
Yiou're welcome BB.
Depends how much you put on.I never take mine off but I use it sparingly. The only time I put any in the bore is for long term storage.I would say yes remove it or any oil from the bore before firing.You sure don't want a obstuction in the barrel.I take the Rig from the jar( is or was available in tubes) and apply it to the sheep-skin wipe. It liquidfies and is easy to wipe on your gun.If you apply a heavy coat on the exterior of your gun you might want to take off the excess before handling or using it.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-13-2005, 07:16 AM

I like using Break-Free. The suggested steel wool will work great but don't use any coarser than OOOO.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll second the use of Break-Free CLP. I first started using it in the Corps as it is the milspec cleaner/lubricant/protectant authorized for use on the M16A2. It's some very good stuff. If you apply it correctly (i.e. sparingly), it drys to a non-dust collecting protective finish. It contains solvents than do a decent job cleaning powder fouling and while wet provides a standard oil like lubrication, once dry it leaves a film of Teflon on the metal parts for lube and a protectant that prevents rust. It's the best lube out there and I use it on all my guns religiously.

Mike
Old 01-13-2005, 05:13 PM

this might sound stupid but it actually works...
take a #2 type pencil and cover the rust with lead (draw on it) then erase.