Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rust removal

Old 01-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Spike

Default Rust removal

I some very light rust in the bore of my Hawken that I just can't seem to get rid of. Any suggestions? I have seen a couple of products but they also remove bluing .

ws
Old 01-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rust removal

There isn't any bluing inside the barrel.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Dominant Buck

In the bore use some good quality solvent, a brass brush, then some solvent patches. Light rust will normally come right out with a good solvent and brush. If it is stubborn, then get some J-B Bore paste and use according to directions. That will also take the rust out and leave your bore with a nice shine.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:46 PM

Usually a good scrubbing with some bore solvent and a brush will clean the bore up. If not get some JB Bore Compound from Brownwells and it will clean it up better than new.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Water Swatter

I some very light rust in the bore of my Hawken that I just can't seem to get rid of. Any suggestions? I have seen a couple of products but they also remove bluing .

ws
I used some parts clearer fluid for brakes, cheaper and easier to get. It worked quite well with both the bore and a frozen bold that my son "let go" and didn't clean for 1 year. Luck it was 777 and not BP. I just use a bore brushin the barrel and soaked the bolt in a Knight. Chap Gleason Va
Old 01-29-2007, 10:04 PM

Use some Rem Oil and a good brush. It should come out. It worked for me.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: yeoman

There isn't any bluing inside the barrel.
I'm concerned about the blueing on the outside of the barrel.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:02 PM

outdoorslover, when you use remoil, make sure you get a nice coat on the patch and run it down the bore a few times and then let it sit for a couple minutes to dry and then use a dry patch and run it down a couple runs to soak up any left overs. I actually stopped oiling the inside of my barrel, i dont have to do it now that i found a good cleaner. But i do make sure i add a coat to the outside.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:09 PM

I do that exactly, FG. I have gotten rust on the inside of my barrel so I oil it for that reason. I make sure I swab it out whenI am gonna shoot though.

For rust, I just took some Triple O steel wool and some Rem oil. I sprayed the Rem oil on the rust--very heavily, and lightly used the steel wool. It worked great on the outside rust. The rust in the barrel should come out with the oil and brush, like I said. That's the only way I know of.

Thanks for the advice, FG.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:16 PM

Makes me thankful to own an SS barrel. Doesnt rust as easily. But make sure you swab out the left overs with the rem oil after u run a few patches.

Quick Reply: Rust removal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.