Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Anyone try Hornady SST interlock in .243 on whitetails? >

Anyone try Hornady SST interlock in .243 on whitetails?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone try Hornady SST interlock in .243 on whitetails?

Old 01-06-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Anyone try Hornady SST interlock in .243 on whitetails?

Just wondering, these bullets work better than anything I have ever used, but I am shooting 25-06 in 117 grain. I would think the 95 grain SST interlock in .243 would do a similar job. They expand violently then penetrate too and the deer usually goes down right now. I think this bullet will put an end to the speculation that .243 isn't enough gun for whitetails.

They expand so violently, if you mess up and hit meat, you will lose whatever you hit. Hit a shoulder and the whole thing is history. But then they hold together and run through the deer also. Hornady did a great job with this bullet and it isn't even all that expensive.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone try Hornady SST interlock in .243 on whitetails?

Ive never had a problem with any ammo I use in my .243, Ive killed whitetail, axis, hogs , javeline. Even using the crappy core-lockts. I took an axis at over 300 yds using the core lockts and it went right through and he went down within 40-50 yds. just dont understand what others are saying about the .243, I never have had a problem. I do like the factory hornady ammo and federals in the sierra gameking's. Have had better results using this ammo over core-lockts even though i havent lost an animal with any ammo, It's just that i had two deer that I didnt get a pass through on, and that was using the core-locts on both occasions. One was a neck shot the other was a body. While the hornady's blow right through deer and big hogs.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

i know someone who uses the hornady SST interlock he loves it. over teh last two years he got 2 deer and both dropped in there tracks.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is no debate...those that speculate that the .243 isn't large enough for your average sized whitetail either haven't used, used the wrong bullets or aren't man enough to admit that they made a bad shot or can't track a deer after the shot....

The only real reasons to use a rifle larger than a .243 for deer hunting....is for extremely long range shots especially with windy conditions, the chance of having to use your "deer rifle" on something else like an elk, moose or larger bear...or maybe you just like a different caliber or a lever action etc...Most .243 shooters could care less what you use...Just don't try to tell us that we can't make a clean kill on the average whitetail...tain't so...

That being said...If I was going on a PAID hunt to say Alberta...where I MIGHT have a chance at a 300 pound deer....I MIGHT borrow my brother's .270....But NOT my other brother's 300 mag....It doesn't have a muzzle break...