Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

270 ?

Old 01-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 270 ?

The 270 is a fine caliber I to would recommend going to another bullet like the Barnes, or FailSafe.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks a lot guys, lot's o good info here !!
Old 01-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Host of Hosts

Core lokts certainly are not the "problem".
I have to agree, I've used core lokts for years and never had any problems with them. I don't understand why alot of guys think you need premium 25.00 to 30.00 a box ammo for whitetails. Dead is dead!
Old 01-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't understand why alot of guys think you need premium 25.00 to 30.00 a box ammo for whitetails. Dead is dead!
Too many bad experiences with Remington CoreLokts. I didn't say anything about a premium bullet, just something else besides Remington's junk.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Leafriver, Better listen to bigbull. He is right on the money. I've taken plenty of deer, both whitetails and mulies with my .270. Most shots have been under 100 yds., a couple at 300-350 and just this past year, a 4x4 mulie at a ranged 438 yds. I shoot 130 gr. Nosler Ballistic tips over 55 gr of IMR4350. This load has served me well for about 25 years in this rifle.
As far a shot placement, the way I taught my son, was to picture a basketball seting in a deer's chest, its center just behind the front legs/shoulder. Your aiming point should be in the lower half of the ball in the verticle center. This image hasn't failed me in 40 years of hunting.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:15 PM

I have used a 270 as my primary rifle for many years. This year I zeroed my rifle using the Ultra Core-Lokts, their new bonded core-lokt bullet. I shot 7 deer here on the farm. All one shot kills and all complete pass-thrus. You might want to try some different cartridge/bullet combos from Rem and other manufacturers, but it sound to me as those the core-lokts you now use are doing a fine job.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't understand why alot of guys think you need premium 25.00 to 30.00 a box ammo for whitetails.
Just because they are whitetails doesn't mean we all have to agree using the plain jane bullets is best either. I mean really what ever floats your canoe and works then go for it. Everybody is different and have their own evaluation process on determining which equipment or this case bullet to use. However when a question or concern is asked of this wide group of individuals you should expect and accept the fact people will give opinions that say switch to a bullet that is constructed for the purpose or outcome asked! So yes premium bullets will always be suggested and many don't consider a few extra dollars in bullets to be a large expense when considering the time, effort and money we may put forth each year to hunt game.

As to the results I agree where is the problem? 2 dead deer, dropped in their tracks and bullet went where you intented it to go! I mean what would have been the difference with 2 holes vs 1 in these cases?? I would expect it in the given circumstances to yield no better results. Like mentioned if you want a more a solid constructed bullet design to retain weight look to the likes of a barnes, failsafe, partition, etc.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:41 AM

i use the win supreme accutip bullets they are awsome!
Old 02-06-2005, 10:42 AM

people i need 6 people to join my hunting copetition, spead the word!
Old 02-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everybody expects different performance from bullets.Your's are doing what they were designed to do.I read allot of complaints about the CoreLokts.I've been using them for quite awhile. In my rifle they shoot good.Last year using my 270 Win I shot what turned out to be a knot head instead of a doe I thought it was.Using the CoreLokts it dropped instantly.When dressing it out I found the bullet. It had mushroomed out perfectly. I didn't take the time to weigh it. I would say it kept almost all it's original weight.I use 150 gr.The ammunition debate will always continue.If something works for you keep using it. I can't see spending big bucks for something the cheaper ammo will do.I've tried the Federal Premium 130 gr Ballistic Tips in my 7mmRM. My gun hated them. The Corelokts shot well.Yep ! I'm using the Corelokts in the 7mmRM just like in the 270.

Ruger Redhawk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.