Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

270 ?

Old 01-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default 270 ?

I just this season started hunting with a 270. I'm using the 130 gr corelokts. What has surprised me tho is that this load did'nt penetrate clear thru. I'm used to the 30/06. I've killed two good size bucks. I shot both broad side shoulder, one at 80 yds and the other at just less than a hundred. Both dear dropped on the spot. Neither had clear thru penetration.I was really surprised tho that the damage to the shoulders was minimal on both deer, compared to the 06 which generally devastaded the shoulders. I really did'nt think there would be that much difference in the 270 and the o6. I know that many don't approve of the shoulder shot, . . .sorry if that offends . . .it's what has worked best for me.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 270 ?

I have been using a 270 on deer for a long time also. I use the 130 Federal hi shoks....I almost always get pass thrus but what I dont get is instant death like you are getting. Dunno if I would complain bout that or not..lol. Anytime the bullet doesnt come out that means it gave 100% of its energy to the vitals on that deer. I dunno if its typical with those bullets but it sound slike a good deal. I get meat damage galore also....

Theres a lot of 270 hunters on here I'm sure you'll get some good opinions.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:18 PM

.....I've killed two good size bucks. I shot both broad side shoulder, one at 80 yds and the other at just less than a hundred. Both dear dropped on the spot......
So, what's the problem? I guess you just expected more damage, and wanted an exit
wound? Are you making a fair comparison with results you had from the 30-06? What
bullet/load did you use in the '06? What range were the hits using the '06? Where were the hits with the '06?
Given both deer dropped "on the spot" when using the 270Win., you should be pleased.
If you want more penetration I'd suggest you look to a "stouter" bullet/load - try the
150gr. Core-Lokts or Core-Lokt Ultras. Federal loads a 150gr. using the Nosler partition
bullet, and a 140gr. using the Trophy Bonded bullets.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm using the 130 gr corelokts.
There is your problem. Forget CoreLokts. I have never had any luck with CoreLokts in anything under 30 cal. Get yourself some Winchester or Federal shells and you should see some difference.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:57 PM

Federal Premiums loaded w/ Barnes TSX Bullet
Old 01-04-2005, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

I agree that your "problem", if you want to call it that, is bullet selection. A premium bullet like a Partition, TBBC, Failsafe, etc. would probably give you more of the pass throughs you are looking for. I really don't think it has much to do with the caliber.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Like the rest, I don't see that you are having a problem at all. Two deer dead on the spot with less meat damage than you had with the 30-06. Am I missing something here?

Core lokts certainly are not the "problem". They, obviously, will kill deer dead as anything out there. They have been doing it longer than and have probably accounted for more dead deer than just about any other bullet out there today.

Ask many of the experts and they will tell you that you are getting perfect bullet performance. Many do not want the bullet to exit. Instead they prefer the bullet to use 100% of its energy inside the animal and stop just under the skin on the far side.

But Rangerlab is right if you want a pass thry a Barnes, or failsafe will certainly give it to you. Probably will pass thru two or three deer.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pretty unusuall performance for a 270. I have hardly ever seen a bullet not pass through a deer. I quess the shoulder hit could explain it. Expansion will limit penetration.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some good replies. I guess what I'm wondering is what will happen if the yards get kicked up to 150 and I go for the shoulder?
Old 01-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Same thing..... A dead deer.

And at 200 ... 300 ... 400....................

Actually you may have better luck getting a pass thru at a bit longer distance, 200 yards or so, because the velocity will be lower and create much less mushrooming and weight loss for less resistance and more retained energy while traveling through the animal than up close and personal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.