Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

270 ?

Old 02-16-2005, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 270 ?

ORIGINAL: bronko22000
As far a shot placement, the way I taught my son, was to picture a basketball seting in a deer's chest, its center just behind the front legs/shoulder. Your aiming point should be in the lower half of the ball in the verticle center.
thats the exact thing my dad told me about 20 years ago. works great for me as well.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:17 AM

When I started shootin' Corelokts they looked just like a cross seciton of the Ultra Corelokts do today, although the jacket wasn't as thick. I don't understand how they cheapened the design as much as they did and still keep class a performance. If you just have to shoot shoulders, shoot the one on the other side of the deer. The heart and lungs are the best target. Them deer won't run 30 years, and if you can't trail 'em that far maybe you oughta give up huntin'.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:11 AM

I've been using a Hornady 130Gr balistic tip boat tail in my .270. I get great penetration and pass through. I even got a double pass thorugh with it this year on a double pig shot, caught the first one through the neck and the second a double lung. Took a few minutes to get them lined up.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Virginia7

.....I've killed two good size bucks. I shot both broad side shoulder, one at 80 yds and the other at just less than a hundred. Both dear dropped on the spot......
So, what's the problem? I guess you just expected more damage, and wanted an exit
wound? Are you making a fair comparison with results you had from the 30-06? What
bullet/load did you use in the '06? What range were the hits using the '06? Where were the hits with the '06?
Given both deer dropped "on the spot" when using the 270Win., you should be pleased.
If you want more penetration I'd suggest you look to a "stouter" bullet/load - try the
150gr. Core-Lokts or Core-Lokt Ultras. Federal loads a 150gr. using the Nosler partition
bullet, and a 140gr. using the Trophy Bonded bullets.
DITTO....Virginia7....10-4 good buddy!!

KEEP ON ROOTING!!!
Old 02-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Ruger-Redhawk

Everybody expects different performance from bullets.Your's are doing what they were designed to do.I read allot of complaints about the CoreLokts.I've been using them for quite awhile. In my rifle they shoot good.Last year using my 270 Win I shot what turned out to be a knot head instead of a doe I thought it was.Using the CoreLokts it dropped instantly.When dressing it out I found the bullet. It had mushroomed out perfectly. I didn't take the time to weigh it. I would say it kept almost all it's original weight.I use 150 gr.The ammunition debate will always continue.If something works for you keep using it. I can't see spending big bucks for something the cheaper ammo will do.I've tried the Federal Premium 130 gr Ballistic Tips in my 7mmRM. My gun hated them. The Corelokts shot well.Yep ! I'm using the Corelokts in the 7mmRM just like in the 270.

Ruger Redhawk

DITTO Ruger-Redhawk!......10-4 good buddy.

KEEP ON ROOTING!!!
Old 02-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Georgetownboys

I've been using a Hornady 130Gr balistic tip boat tail in my .270. I get great penetration and pass through. I even got a double pass thorugh with it this year on a double pig shot, caught the first one through the neck and the second a double lung. Took a few minutes to get them lined up.

Did that once in Georgia.....what a thrill!.....good shooting Georgetownboys!!

KEEP ON ROOTING!!!
Old 02-25-2005, 11:49 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Slamfire

When I started shootin' Corelokts they looked just like a cross seciton of the Ultra Corelokts do today, although the jacket wasn't as thick. I don't understand how they cheapened the design as much as they did and still keep class a performance. If you just have to shoot shoulders, shoot the one on the other side of the deer. The heart and lungs are the best target. Them deer won't run 30 years, and if you can't trail 'em that far maybe you oughta give up huntin'.

GREAT REPLY......Slamfire!......great reply indeed. Could not have said it better.

KEEP ON ROOTING!!!