Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 325 wsm, is winchester on crack? >

325 wsm, is winchester on crack?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

325 wsm, is winchester on crack?

Old 01-02-2005, 07:10 PM

Default 325 wsm, is winchester on crack?

I think winchester is retarded for making this cartridge. I take back what i said if 325 does not mean exact bullet diamter and it fires a .323 caliber bullet or 8mm. If it does not fire 8mm bullets then what bullet do you use to reload for it. Please correct me if i am wrong and it does shoot 8mm. I dont really understand the whole short magnum craze, the only one that i would buy is the 270 wsm which is going to be my next gun.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:16 PM

Default RE: 325 wsm, is winchester on crack?

Yeah, the 325 is an 8mm. 325 WSM just sounds better than 323.

I don't understand the short magnum craze myself, but winchester is sure selling a bunch of rifles! So, if they're on crack, it's probably the really good kind.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I posted the same thread about two weeks ago or so. I thought they were on crack also because I had my heart set on a .338WSM but after I settled down a bit I realized that this will be a very nice round. Ballistically with the same weight bullets it does have a bit of an advantage.

Now for the 325 name I think they just put a bunch of numbers in a hat and picked one and this is the one they picked. Why they didn't just call it the 323WSM is beyond me.

AS far as the short mag craze goes, I like them simply because they offer the same ballistics as their longer brothers but with out the belted case. I have never been a fan of belted cases. If they had made them standard length with out the belt I would like them just as well. Short or long it would make no difference to me. I know the ultra mags did this but they are a magnum length action and I doubt that I will ever need to make a 600 or 700 yard shot an an elk or moose. IMO they just offer up a whole lot of extra muzzle blast and kick and the gains are minimal.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is hardly the first time that a gun maker has used a number in the name of a cartridge that isn't the exact caliber that the cartridge really is.

.38 Spc = .357"

.44 Mag = .429"

.300 Win Mag = .308"

.303 British = .310-.311"

All "7mm" = 7.21mm

.270 Win = .277"

.260 Rem = .264"

The list goes on and on...

But yes, as others have said, the .325 WSM is in fact a .323" which is also an 8mm. They could have just as easily called is an 8mm WSM, but I think that they probably wanted to avoid what seems to be the 8mm stigma in the U.S. (note how well the 8mm Rem Mag is compared even to its little brother, the 7mm STW). 8mm's, like the 6.5mm's are, for whatever reason, doomed to fail commercially in the U.S. despite being excellent cartridges.

I think the jury will be out for a long time on the .325 WSM. I, for one, would probably choose a .338 Win Mag over the .325 WSM if given the choice. They both are ballistcally similar, but the .338 handles even heavier bullets and makes a bigger hole.

Mike
Old 01-03-2005, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a bit baffled myself. The 338 win mag is pretty well established yet it won't tear your shoulder off, either. With all these new introductions, I can't help but wonder how many will be orphans soon. I always thought the old 8 mm mauser was a good round if you could find a decent bullet.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think the whole thing is very interesting, they must have plans to push the manufacture of new and more easily obtained bullets for this diameter. I hunt avidly with a 8x57 Mauser and hate bullet shopping, although I am very happy with the 200 grain Nosler Partition. The 180 Nosler Ballistic Tip will also be a good bullet for the gun. As of now I am interested to see what becomes of this rifle.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Heres an article I found put out by the folks at Kimber-

In 2002, most shooters and hunters expected Winchester to add a larger caliber to the WSM line and the popular guess was 338. However, Winchester surprised the shooting public with the introduction of two Winchester Super Short Magnums, the 223 and 243. Here was a totally new concept in commercially available ammunition. The "short-fat" cartridges were designed to work with new Super Short action rifles from Browning and Winchester Firearms. Then in 2003, a 25 caliber load was added to the WSSM line.

Shooters and hunters who like bigger bore rifles for large game hunting are expecting Winchester to finally make the move to bigger bullets in the WSM line for 2005. They are right, but they may be surprised.

Winchester recognized the need for a cartridge capable of launching 200 plus grain bullets with high inherent accuracy, energy capable of stopping the largest North American game, and lower perceived recoil. Winchester engineers considered several different calibers during development and determined that the 325 caliber was the best performer in the WSM platform. This new cartridge delivers similar energies as a 338 Win-Mag in a much smaller lightweight package.

The platform of the "Short-Fat" cartridge design has for years consistently produced very accurate cartridges. Since their introduction, the Winchester Short Magnum and the Winchester Super Short Magnum calibers have all produced exceptional accuracy. In addition to delivering excellent ballistics, the 325 WSM also exhibits exceptional accuracy, a real plus in this large caliber cartridge.

Initially, three loads will be available in the 325 WSM. Winchester Ammunition and Nosler, Inc. developed a 200 gr. Accubond® CT® in the Supreme® line and in the Super-X® line, Winchester Ammunition developed a 220 gr. Power-Point® bullet. Both of these loads utilize bullets specifically designed for use in the 325 WSM. Additionally, a 180 gr. Ballistic Silvertip® in the Supreme® line will be available. Additional loads are expected in the future.

The 325 WSM is the ideal package for the serious elk, bear, moose or other large and dangerous game hunter where a lightweight short magnum rifle is desired.

For more information on Winchester® products, please visit their website at www.winchester.com . Press releases and images can be found on the website at www.winchester.com , then click on Press Room.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:30 AM

There is always hope that a new cart will be the next best thing to sliced bread. I bet that, if the .325 wsm is popular there will be more bullets made in the 8mm that will be adaptable to other 8mm loads. That would be a good thing. So it could be a win/win situation.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

The short mags have been wildly successful and Winchester has been very effective in guiding the marketplace with them. I personally think that there will be alot of carry over in popularity to the new caliber and it wont be long before bullet manufactures start making more 8mm bullets. One thing you have to admit about Winchester is that they are great at marketing their products, esp. the WSMs.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

The more I think about this gun the more I actually want one, I was never much for the shortmags, but this would be a nice addition to my collection since I like the 8mm diameter! Sure would be nice in a Kimber 8400 Montana.

Quick Reply: 325 wsm, is winchester on crack?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.