Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington 760 feeding problem >

Remington 760 feeding problem

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 760 feeding problem

Old 12-23-2004, 09:02 AM

Default Remington 760 feeding problem

I have a Remington 760, 30-06 that shoots quite well (1" groups at 100 yds, quite often) when single loaded. However, when shells are cycled throught the magazine the group opens up to double or triple the size. After looking at unfired bullets after cycling them through the magazine and chamber, I discovered that the noze of the bullets are damaged as they enter the chamber. Some lead is scraped off leaving a flat spot about 1/8" wide and over that long on the edge of the bullet noze. I suspected it was due to the magazine not holding them proberly and bought a new magazine and the same thing happens. I am shooting 150gr soft points winchester factory loads. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions to correct the problem would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:39 PM

Default RE: Remington 760 feeding problem

You don't say what bullet style you're using. Perhaps a change in the type of bullet will eliminate the problem, maybe a bullet with a higher jacket. I don't have any experience with this specific rifle, but I do know that some firearms' feed ramps (the ramp the cartridge rides up, bullet first, from the mag into the chamber) have machine marks remaining from the factory machining operation. These marks can be enough to cause resistance and/or damage to a soft nosed bullet. I took a piece of emery cloth, wrapped around a short piece of dowel rod, to my .45 auto feed ramp and, working carefully, took out the machine marks. Might be possible with the 760.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:30 AM

I shoot a model 6 in 30.06 that does the same thing with lead tips. It's not the mag. thats doing it, it's the feed ramp. You can do one of two things.....have the ramp honed down or do what I did,switch to ballistic tips. The ballistics will tighten your groups up even better
Old 12-24-2004, 01:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

According to the bullet makers, the damaged tips do not effect the accuracy much. However what you are seeing can not be ignored. Most of the damage happens when the shells in the magazine come forward on recoil and hit the front of the clip. A rough feed ramp could cause some trouble. A gunsmith should be able to polish that for you. The simple answer if the tips are causing the problem would be to switch to the ballistic tips. I have had four Remington pumps and have not had any problem with that.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:00 PM

Thanks to all the above. I have considered all those options. I am shooting 150 gr psp and 180 gr sp and it happens to both. The damage is on the top of the bullet. It seems to hit the top edge of the chamber on entering and some of the lead on the top gets scraped and pushed to the rear of the top. It seems that the shells com up from the magazine at too steep an angle. The remaining shells in the magazine do not show any damage after firing and before chambering. Still looking for more suggestions to address this or there will be a 760 for sale soon.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:29 PM

jg the only solution is to switch too polymer tipped bullets. That is one of the reasons for their creation, the nose prevents damage when cycling therefore maintaining accuracy.

The BEST solution for a problematic 760? Its called B A R,
RA
Old 12-25-2004, 07:08 PM

JG, have you tried Remington Core Lokt bullets? The Core Lokts have a slightly flat tip with very little lead exposed. They are very inexpensive in factory loads (I use Core Lokts for reloading also) and I have had great luck with them in terms of accuracy. The best factory load in my 700 BDL is with 165 grain Core Lokts. My 742 seems to like the 180 grain loads also, but the barrel needs to be absoutely cold for it to group decently, a peculiarity of the 742.

I agree with the other guys about the ballistic tips, but if yo0u want to try something less expensive, I would recommend stopping by Walmart and dropping twelve bucks on a box of Remington Core Lokt ammo.

It would be hard for me to part with a gun that gave me 1" groups with factory ammo - - good luck!