Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Why did the .260 Remington not take off as a standard caliber? >

Why did the .260 Remington not take off as a standard caliber?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why did the .260 Remington not take off as a standard caliber?

Old 12-22-2004, 10:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why did the .260 Remington not take off as a standard caliber?

i've got to admit, when i went looking for my wife a rifle the first gun i thought of was a rem model 7 in 7mm-08, since i already had my encore pistol in 7-08. well found a model 7 s/s in 260 from a friend that gave me a sweet deal, it has become my favorite carry gun, as far as what remington has/is doing look at the short action mags, i mean win. has killed them, i like the 7mm saum rem. has but what about brass 10 yrs. from now and all the win short mags are taking off, i love the rem's i have, but sometimes i feel like they (remington) just drop the ball. i also bought a rem 260 barrel for my encore. i love the 260 and have kept as much brass as i can, i really hope this is not one that falls thru the cracks
Old 12-23-2004, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

MT, I currentlly have an Encore pistol on order with a Bulberry medium taper barrel in .260 myself. I've also been saving my brass. I suppose if the ammo gets in short supply, we could always buy .308 brass and neck size them. I've been toying with the idea of doing that anyway because you can get the .308 casings in the nickel plated version which I prefer. Do you currently handload for your .260?
Old 12-23-2004, 06:17 AM

What are the sales numbers for the 260? Last time I heard, I thought is was selling pretty well. Remington, Ruger, and Kimber are still making them, right?

I totally agree that Remington should chamber the 260 in the ADL and the model 7. I would think given the choice as a first rifle for kids or a wife's rifle, the 260 would be much more attractive than the 243.

I like the 120 grain accutips in my wife's model 7. No recoil to speak of and she can group them pretty well at 100 yards. Also, more killing power than the 243.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mant people like synthetic stocks. hats why there are so many of them out there. I prefer them for their weight and stability. Also I don't like pretty wood stocks in the field. They are pretty to hang on the wall but I hate to scratch them up which I always do. So to each his own. I have guns with every kind of stock available.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can say right now...if Remington would make a 700 adl of either kind in a .260 I would be the first to buy one....never mind I already have an the 7-08 and a 243. I had seriously considered taking the 243 and making a .260 out of it. Someone made a good point on here about not waiting for what ya want and finding a way to do it yourself. I know a great gunsmith so I think it could be done as I never really cared at all for the 243.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Wow... You guys are all obsessed with the 260!!!

I would probably add one to, now having said that I am VERY happy with my .243 as my lighter recoiling rifle to be used in a pinch for varmints and as a backup to my favorite... The 7mm-08. That's right I love the 7mm-08, I have a browning A-bolt and a Remington Model 7 in it. To me it might be the BEST whitetail deer cartridge (the 257 roberts, 260 rem, and 25-06 would be my next choices in that category).
Old 12-23-2004, 02:22 PM

Why did the .260 Remington not take...
Market forces, pure and simple. Most hunters are "ballisticly challanged", and don't have a very firm grasp on riflery in general, let alone a clue on performance. To them, if it doesn't kick like hell, cost $40 per box, and rattle their teeth, it "just ain't powerful enough". Lots and lots of good cartridges around that just hang on...they are not discontinued, but they are not popular, either.

I like the 6.5x55, partly because I have five of them. It can do anything the .260 can, so there really isn't any practical difference.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone keeps referring to the 6.5x55, but isn't it a long action cartridge? I was wanting a short action so I could get a compact light weight rifle when I bought mine.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:56 PM

Everyone keeps referring to the 6.5x55, but isn't it a long action cartridge
4 mm longer...55mm vs 51 mm.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do you currently handload for your .260?
mike from tex, my load data is in the basement, i'll get it for you, also my 260 barrel on my encore is a rifle barrel, i do have a 15" in 7mm-08 on a different frame, you'll love your encore pistol and the 260 is a neat idea. also yea i have thought about the .308 brass i have never done any cal. changes like that but it could come to that. thank goodnes they'll always be a good supply of .308 stuff, i have a 7mmSTW, don't ask me why, but i've bought up a bunch of brass for it, and at the rate i shoot it (hardly ever) it should last my lifetime...

Wow... You guys are all obsessed with the 260!!!
not obsessed but it is a neat little gun in a package like my wifes model 7 or a ruger compact and like i had mentioned before when i went looking for my wife a rifle i was pretty set on the model 7 remington, but i started out looking for a 7mm-08, which is one of my favorites.

I like the 6.5x55, partly because I have five of them. It can do anything the .260 can, so there really isn't any practical difference.
ballistically almost the same both are great smaller lighter recoiling rounds and very capable on deer sized game.

That's right I love the 7mm-08, I have a browning A-bolt and a Remington Model 7 in it. To me it might be the BEST whitetail deer cartridge (the 257 roberts, 260 rem, and 25-06 would be my next choices in that category
it is the perfect cartridge for a lot of folks, i know i like mine.

Quick Reply: Why did the .260 Remington not take off as a standard caliber?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.