Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Why did the .260 Remington not take off as a standard caliber? >

Why did the .260 Remington not take off as a standard caliber?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why did the .260 Remington not take off as a standard caliber?

Old 12-22-2004, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Why did the .260 Remington not take off as a standard caliber?

Todd1700,
I agree with your statement. Tell your friend to sale his 300 and buy a 25-06. I've had more deer over the years drop in their tracks with the 25-06 shooting a 115 gr. Ballistic Tip. For some reason most of the deer I've taken with the 06 fall on the spot. I also have taken many with a 280 Rem, 257 Roberts, 270 Win, 300 Win Mag, 243 Win, & 7MM Rem Mag. I can only think of one dropping with the 270 & probably 3-4 with the 280. The results are usually 20-40 yards before dying. Tell your friend he will be able to see the deer fall through the scope on the 25-06 and not get tagged in the face like with the 300 WSM. Retire the 300 until he is elk hunting.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tell your friend to sale his 300 and buy a 25-06.
You don't have to sell me on the 25-06. I own one in a Tikka T-3 and it has quickly become my favorite whitetail gun.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tell your friend to sale his 300 and buy a 25-06. I've had more deer over the years drop in their tracks with the 25-06 shooting a 115 gr. Ballistic Tip. For some reason most of the deer I've taken with the 06 fall on the spot. I also have taken many with a 280 Rem, 257 Roberts, 270 Win, 300 Win Mag, 243 Win, & 7MM Rem Mag. I can only think of one dropping with the 270 & probably 3-4 with the 280. The results are usually 20-40 yards before dying. Tell your friend he will be able to see the deer fall through the scope on the 25-06 and not get tagged in the face like with the 300 WSM. Retire the 300 until he is elk hunting.
Bullet construction and point of aim mean more then any particular cartridge. I have shot a ton of deer with a Rem 7mm and 270 WIn,300 WIn mag. Few ran more then 40 yards tops most just fell over or were launched backwards using standard jacketed bullets . I killed 4 deer last year with a 7WSM(150 powerpoint) and all but one dropped at the shot. One buck actually went 150 yards with both lungs blown out, that would be the longest tracking job with any 7mm I have used to date. I have not had a 280 drop anything in its tracks and the same for a 300 wthby, they make their 50 yard death run and fall over..Nosler partitions were used in both rifles . Deer were absolutely hammered by a 300 wsm shooting 180 grain ballistic tips. In retrospect I probably should have concentrated more on shot placement with my 280 and 300 wthby and used a lighter constructed bullet but they ran but I didn't lose them. A 260 remington is a fine rifle it just got pigeonholed by the gunwriters as usual and its effectiveness will be lost on a few of us that don't own them. When my son gets old enough to hunt(Next Year) i will look at them as well as 7-08 and maybe a 25-06 or 25wssm since they seem to be compact and lightweight.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know what it is about the 25.06 but it has proven to be pure deer poison for me. I like my 30.06 and have killed lots of deer with it, some run some didn't. I got the new gun bug several years ago and bought a 25.06. I have since taken quite a few deer with that gun and have only had one that ran and he only went maybe 20yds. I've had several to fall out of the scope so fast when i pulled the trigger i actually thought i missed. Needless to say i have fallen in love with the 25.06. It's a pleasure to shoot, very accurate, mild recoil and no doubt hits the target like lighting. Having said all that i would like to have a 260 Rem as my next rifle if one ever comes around that i like. I like the Kimber 84m but have heard they are really light. I've also looked at a Ruger but don't know much about them. I'm hoping maybe one day Remington will chamber the 260 in a rifle that i like. The CDL or Classic would be nice or maybe i'll get lucky and run across one of the BDL's they use to offer in that caliber but i highly doubt it.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nobody beats Remington when it comes to dumping on their own developments. If they offered their synthetic ADL with a 24 inch barrel in 260 it would sell like hot cakes.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why is it that everyone has to have a synthetic stocked rifle? To me they are just pure ugly. The only guns I own with synthetic are my Benelli shotguns. I've shot wood/blue guns all my life and I've never had a problem with any of them. My mountain rifle is wood/blue and I think it is beautiful, and I'm not afraid of scratching it up. I bought it to use and I intend to use it. My first choice was the laminated/stainless version but I had about $550 in Bass Pro gift certificates and that was not a stocked rifle for them so I had to go with the wood/blued version.

I have shot several deer with my .260 and even though they don't drop in their tracks, that fact is they are all dead. I don't understand the fascination with having a deer drop in it's tracks. And I don't get the magnum craze, I've got a .300 Win Mag and it is not needed on whitetails, that's why I bought the .260. It's all about shooting the right bullet and putting it in the right place. Maybe the people on the magum bandwagon are trying to compensate for something.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why is it that everyone has to have a synthetic stocked rifle? To me they are just pure ugly.
I couldnt agree more. Give me wood, laminated preferably.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 260 is a great deer round! It is sad that it hasnt grown in popularity! Maybe if they woulda called it the "260 ultra short action notamagnum" it would have been "cool" having a long name.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:32 PM

I recently bought a CZ 550 in 6.5x55, and I am delighted with it. It is the most accurate out-of-box rifle I have ever owned, better even than my two Remington 700s, also purchased this year.

Not quite sure I would agree that the CZ is a better quality rifle than the Remington, because I am pretty happy with my Remingtons, but I would not hesitate a single minute to buy another CZ, and recommend them highly. If it isn't better it is at least the equal, that's for sure.

I have no experience with the .260, but I wish I had a .260 instead of my .243. The long, skinny 140 grain 6.5mm bullet works so well in the Swede that I am sure it would be great in the .260 also.

ORIGINAL: Briman

Another good reason to buy a CZ rather than a Remington. Isn't it pretty sad that a company 1/2 way around the world in a former communist country can make the quality and selections that we want but the buffoons that run the domestic companies cannot?

Get a CZ 550 in 6.5x55- it can be handloaded to better performace than the .260, and its a better quality rifle to boot.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nobody beats Remington when it comes to dumping on their own developments. If they offered their synthetic ADL with a 24 inch barrel in 260 it would sell like hot cakes.
I'd buy one. And you are right about dumping their own developements too quickly. The C.E.O's of companies are rich, powerful and important people but never mistake that for meaning that they are intelligent people or that they hold their position based purely on merit.

Quick Reply: Why did the .260 Remington not take off as a standard caliber?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.