Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which caliber is responsible for the most wounded deer? >

Which caliber is responsible for the most wounded deer?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which caliber is responsible for the most wounded deer?

Old 12-21-2004, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Which caliber is responsible for the most wounded deer?

i dont think a larger gun will help a ****ty shot. its all about shot selection and bullet selection. but if i had to shoose i would pick 223 because its under powered for deer just my opinion though
Old 12-21-2004, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd think it depends on the reason for the lost game.
If it's poor shot placement, it's probably someone shooting a magnum caliber they can't handle.
Other than that, I'd say the .223's and the other .22's that just are not suitable for big game! Most of the "misses" with the .22's are probably really "hits" that don't provide a blood trail, and end up being unrecovered dead deer!
Old 12-21-2004, 04:01 PM

My guess would be either a 30-30 or a 243. Someone said earlier that a lot of youngsters start out with these calibers. That's my only reasoning. Either rifle in the hands of a good shooter is a good caliber.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since the those who praise the deer killing prowess of the 30-30 Win like to chant "the 30-30 has killed more deer than any other cartridge" it would stand to reason that it has wounded more deer as well. The law of averages would dictate that the most widely used cartridge would also have the most wounded animals.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shotgun...Slugs and buckshot.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Either 30-30 or 12 ga slug.

One, for the most part the people who shoot this type of weapon/ammo, dont care enough to know their equipment and ballistics.

Two these two calibers are very ballistically inferior and an incorrect range estimation of 25 yards can make a huge diff.

Also I am not saying that this goes for every person out there, but I work a rifle range for Sight ins and the highest percentage of people that accept "on the paper" groups shoot these combos.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:05 PM

If I had to guess, and I am guessing, I'd list the following:

Shotgun with buckshot
30-30 Win.
243 Win.
.22 centerfires (ie: 223Rem., 220Swift, 22-250, etc.)

The 30-30 is probably used by more hunters each year than any other cartridge, and has been for many years. So, as already noted, it stands to reason that being the most
popular deer cartridge in use, it will likely also account for the most wounded deer.
The 30-30 is adequate for deer, but only if used within its' limitations. Heck, we got better bullets in factory ammo available today. Problem is too many folks try to stretch
the range, or just crank out lead in the hopes of making a killing hit. Keep the range to
within 150yds., and don't take shots on running deer in the woods (for most people), and the 30-30 will serve well. Good hits are most important, with this or any cartridge.

The 243 is, IMHO, minimal for deer. It's just plain small, and there ain't no gettin' around it. Again, though, used within reasonable limits, with the right ammo, and with good hits (as with any cartridge), it can do the job.

.22 centerfires, though legal in some places, are again, just too small. Adequate penetration is questionable in most cases. These are varmint cartridges, and should be
limited to that purpose.
Buckshot - what can I say. I started my hunting in NJ where, at the time, buckshot was
required by law. Seen a lot of lost deer with that stuff. If I had to go back to using it,
I'd quit hunting.[:@]
Old 12-21-2004, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to say 12 gauge buckshot. I will say though that you can take a good shooter and he could kill a deer with anything...take your average, lazy, 10 shot a year shooter and it doesnt matter what he uses...chances are hes gonna feed the buzzards pretty regularly. For instance....I have a neighbor that uses and it absolutely deadly with a 222 Remington....I dont ever remember him hardly even missing...let alone losing anything. On the other hand...I hunted with some folks one time that had a 16 year old son using a 7mm mag...he lost 2 in the same day with it. Caliber is basically irrelevant...its all about the shooter.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

IMHO I don't atribute wounded game to the gun in hand.It's more the shooter not knowing the guns limitations or his limitations.I have killed deer cleanly with the 222 up to and including the 444 .I also have seen deer run for 150 yds shot with a 300 win magnum just because of a poor hit. In this case the hunter shook like dog sh*tting razor blades everytime he tried to shoot this gun.It was a matter of ego with him. His dad shot a 300 so he thought he had too.
Bullet choice is another factor in wounded game.Varmint bullets as well as Thick jacketed bullets don't preform well on deer. Varmint bullets tend to blow up before getting good penatration. Thick jacketed bullets tend to punch a hole through with out doing enough damage.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

In my expierence as a hunter and ten year guide, it is the 243. Its the only caliber that I have lost deer with as well. I have seen more young hunters shooting the 243 than all other calibers combined. Bullets for the 243 were crap when it first came out. Thats when I saw all the trouble. It soured me on that caliber forever. I have owned at least six 243 rifles. Its a caliber I really wanted to like and tried hard to do so. Bullets have improved and I never lost one after I started using the nosler partition. I however set my minimum for deer at the 250 Savage. I would have more faith in the 222 or 223 than I do the 243. Its a popular caliber and many use it but I have no use for them except for varmits. There it excells.

Quick Reply: Which caliber is responsible for the most wounded deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.