Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Changed the stock on my Model 70...Question >

Changed the stock on my Model 70...Question

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Changed the stock on my Model 70...Question

Old 12-19-2004, 06:37 PM
Host of Hosts

Default Changed the stock on my Model 70...Question

I changed the stock on my model 70 today. I used a HS-Precision stock with an aluminum bedding block. This is the first stock I've had that had a bedding block on it. My question is... Is it normal for the barrel channel to have a large gap at the fore end? I know it is supposed to be a free floater, but the gap is large enough to slide a piece of paper folded about 8 layers. I bought the stock from midway and the description said it was easy to bed by just tightening the action screws into the bedding block. WhenI opened the package there was a ball of putty like bedding compound and instructions on how to bed the action at the tang and behind the recoil lug at the flat of the receiver. I have glass bedded all of my other wood stocked rifles with no problems, but this gap kinda bothers me.The rifle shot good groups with most ammunition in the factory stock, but I wanted a floor plate in my stock. I guess I wanted to know if this is normal for Fiberglass/Kevlar stocks?
Old 12-20-2004, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Changed the stock on my Model 70...Question

Yep they have quite a gap on those stocks, I wouldn't say it is normal every one differs a little bit... you can fill it in with a glass bedding job and minimize it if you like. I don't like the putty they supply with their stocks and would rather use acraglass gel but you can get away if not using any if you like.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:32 PM

Make sure the reciever is fitted snuggly down properly. It may be "Lifting" in the front end. If it's not in there all the way, for whatever reason, you may crack the stock when you fire it.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:16 PM
Host of Hosts

After posting last night, I removed the receiver from the stock and found that the putty/bedding was too thick at the flat behind the recoil lug and didn't compress enough. It covered the flat, but too much compoud was used. I called H-S Precision and asked them to send me a new piece of bedding compound and the person I talked to said I really didn't need to bed it, and to try it out and see how it shoots. If I'm not happy with the performance of the rifle to call him back and he'd send some out to me. He said I would most likely not need it though. After reinstalling the action into the stock it looks alot better, still a good gap, but nothing like before. Thanks for the replies and insight!