Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Scope bases 1pc or 2pc ?? >

Scope bases 1pc or 2pc ??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope bases 1pc or 2pc ??

Old 12-19-2004, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Scope bases 1pc or 2pc ??

I need some scope mounts for my new 700 Mountain LSS, any advantages or disadvantages over the 1 piece base verses the 2 piece base. I kinda hate the way the 2 piece bases hang over onto the ejection port.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Scope bases 1pc or 2pc ??

I prefer a two piece base to a one piece base. It kind of bugs me too about the rear hanging into the port but IMO it is a heck of a lot better than having the entire thing covered with a one piece base. I think they look a heck of a lot better also.

Some will say a one piece is stronger but I have never had or heard of any problems with two piece bases.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer 2 piece bases myself. If you want some really good lightweight 1 piece base/ring combo at Talleys lightweight bases. They would be perfect on a mountain rifle. www.talleyrings.com
Old 12-20-2004, 01:46 PM

I have a set of the talley two piece bases/rings, seem to be the best rings and bases I have tried so far. Superior craftsmanship and fit, hurt the bank account a little though. Two piece bases have been my choice also because of the ejection/loading port issue. I think it has been worth the money to purchase quality bases and rings in the long run.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:18 PM

I use 2 peice leapold bases on my remington 700 and they are a heck of alot better than the big single peice weaver's which pretty much covered the entire bolt.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:02 PM
bigcountry

They say that one piece is stronger and all, but I still perfer the two piece. Never saw the need for one. Or anything that obstucts your ejection port.

Old 12-20-2004, 07:13 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-20-2004, 10:06 PM

http://www.aboutguns.net/mcmillan.html

Posted: 09-22-1999 10:29
When an action is made the scope mounting holes are drilled prior to heat treating the action. All actions warp to some degree during heat treat which means the holes which were true when drilled are not when you mount the scope . A one piece mount will more or less seek a medium and be more true than two piece mounts but can spring the scope tube when you clamp the scope down. This is the cause of 90 percent of scope trouble. That is why knowledgeable smiths lap the rings in after the rings have been installed. I prefer two piece mounts that have been lapped in

Hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:07 PM

He also recommended the following:

If you are mounting a 1 inch scope use a 1 inch round bar of Aluminum 18 inches long. Mount the lower half of the rings and tighten them as they are to remain on the gun . Put some 240 grit lapping compound available in any automotive store in the saddles and put the 1 inch rod in the saddles like it was a scope. With the palm of your hand push the bar back and forth while rotating it at the same time keeping a down pressure on it at the same time. After a few strokes remove the bar and wipe clean so you can see where it is cutting. Its easy to see because the bluing will be gone where it contacts the bar. Put more compound on and continue till the saddle is free of finish and you can tell it is straight. Wipe the compound out of the saddles but don't worry if it feels rough as that will keep the scope from slipping in the rings. As I said in my earlier post when you tighten a scope down in a mal aligned mount the rear ring is over the pivot point of the erector cell and any binding will cause a change of point of impact and erratic adjustment.