Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 A-Bolt Bolt Disasembly >

A-Bolt Bolt Disasembly

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A-Bolt Bolt Disasembly

Old 12-06-2004, 01:06 PM
bigcountry

Default A-Bolt Bolt Disasembly

I was wondering what tools are required to take apart the bolt on a A-Bolt. Seems it needs something to compress the firing pin spring to unscrew from the bolt handle.

Old 12-06-2004, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A-Bolt Bolt Disasembly

Old 12-06-2004, 02:13 PM
bigcountry

You cursed me with another thing I got to worry about. I was looking at my bolts last night, and I had alot of gunk in my A-Bolt.

Old 12-06-2004, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

per the Browning service rep he sees few if any Abolts ever come back for service and told me not to worry about the bolt it will be fine gunk and all. I don't think many gunsmiths even work on these to be honest, you might have to send it back to browning for work.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:25 PM
bigcountry

many gunsmiths even work on these to be honest, you
Probably right. My gunsmith said he has never took one apart. Looks like you got to have a gaget to hold back the firing pin spring while turning the handle and off it comes. Might be tough to reassemble however. They do have some pins (knocked out with hammer) in the bolt face that might have to be knocked out. And this wierd straight screw on the bottom on the sleeve.

Old 12-06-2004, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Somewhere I saw instructions for taking one apart and it was not pretty. I tried taking mine apart and luckily before I lost my mind I decided against it. You know I have no use for non field strippable bolts. I would dip it in gasoline and shake it up good , get a can of compressed air and blow it out and then shoot it with Tri-flon and let it soak for an hour and then blow out the excess with the canned spray. That was my plan b
Old 12-06-2004, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

The situation you've got is exactly what Gunscrubber was made for I believe, to clean places you can't or don't want to reach. That's what I recommend.

This thread reinforces in my mind why I prefer my Sakos and pre-64' Model 70 Winchester to other rifle brands. The bolts of these rifles can be dissassembled rather easily. Something to think about.