Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 looking at getting a rifle >

looking at getting a rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

looking at getting a rifle

Old 12-02-2004, 09:53 AM

Default looking at getting a rifle

im lookin at getting a rifle in the 30-06 range for deer, elk, and maybe some other game later on down the line. what do you guys think of the 30-06 round vs. others of similar size? and what brand/brands (models of that brand) would you consider? i already have a shotgun mossberg 835 with rifled barrell and shot barrell im just looking for a rifle because a shotgun can do most of the work but not all

thanks for the sugestions
tyler[&:]
Old 12-02-2004, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: looking at getting a rifle

Nothing wrong with the .30-06. It's been effectively used to kill pertty much anything that walks since you great-grandfather was in diapers.

Seriously, the .30-06 is a great intermediate .30cal round that is appropriate, with the right bullet and load, for all game up to and including moose, given that you limit yourself to reasonable ranges and pick your shots wisely.

It's an excellent long range deer cartridge, and a very good moderate range elk gun. I, personally, would choose something a little heavier for anything bigger than elk, perticularly dangerous game, but that's not to say that the '06 won't do an acceptable job if you are a diciplined hunter.

There's a good reason that the .30-06 is among the top three most popular cartridges in the U.S. and very popular throughout the world. There isn't anything romantic or exciting about it, but it is cheap, available and just plain WORKS.

Mike
Old 12-02-2004, 10:36 AM

I agree. Sounds like 30.06 would do everything you want and more. I shoot a Ruger M77 bolt and love it.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:37 AM

thanks for all the good info but what brands are good im lookin for a rifle that is gonna last me a long time something in a ruger or a savage maybe.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say nothing wrong with 30-06 180 gr bullets,another choice I would look at would be the .300 WSM.Both guns in the Winchester Featherweight,topped with a 3x9 Burris.
BBJ
Old 12-02-2004, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

The 30-06 is the best all around cartridge for hunting North America. The only game I wouldn't use it for are the big bears. Other than that it's an acceptable cartridge for critters from varmints to Moose. It's not the best cartridge for any specific situation but it will cover them all. Factory loads are available in the 55 gr. acclerator all the way up to a 220 gr. roundnose. Also ammo can be found just about anywhere.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:46 PM

30-06 is my calibre of choice from deer to moose! If you want a good rifle which is going to last their are many but any Remington, Savage, Ruger, Browning is going to do the trick. If you want to spend abit more you could look at a CZ or wetherby even a Dakota if you got bills pouring out your A@@!
hope that helps
Old 12-02-2004, 05:36 PM

i like 7mm rem mag and if you want a long lasting rifle get a ruger m77 marks 2 its a great rifle 30 06 is also a tremedous rifle cartridge
Old 12-02-2004, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

30-06 excellent choice! Take a look at the Win. Model 70.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:43 PM

30-06 is an excellent choice for ones first centerfire high power rifle.

EKM

Quick Reply: looking at getting a rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.