Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 looking at getting a rifle >

looking at getting a rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

looking at getting a rifle

Old 12-02-2004, 08:45 PM

Default RE: looking at getting a rifle

I'm more of a .270 guy, but the 30-06 has VAST capabilities. I would look seriously at the savages! They are great guns!
Old 12-02-2004, 10:04 PM

EVERYBODY needs a .30-06.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:17 AM

For what you described you'd be using the gun for, I think a .30-06 would be ideal. I was recently shopping for one myself, and ended up with a Tikka T3, but I like the Remington 700 BDL/CDL rifles a lot, and the Browning A-bolt but I think they are way overpriced. It's your decision, so go to a gunshop and pick them all up, see what you like.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Another classic to consider among the .30 cal range..... The old standby, ageless, lever action 30-30. It is cheaper than a 30-06, and has been around since the beginning of firearms. Ammo is very cheap priced too.

Just my .02

Butch A.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:59 AM

aarsudstrike, bearing in mind your original criteria....

"....im lookin at getting a rifle in the 30-06 range for deer, elk, and maybe some other game later on down the line...."
"....i already have a shotgun mossberg 835 with rifled barrell and shot barrell...."
IMHO, if one is just putting together his first set of long guns, then what is needed is VERSATILITY to allow the hunter to vary across a wide range of conditions, ranges, and game. A 30-30 while a fair "brush gun" (especially for deer) is largely duplicated by your "already acquired" rifled mossberg slug gun; therefore you would be "doubling up" on the "brush hunting" function instead of "spreading out" in a fashion that will let you rather quickly hunt anywhere in the lower 48.

The acquisition of a single 30-06 (or very, very close equivalent) as your first high power centerfire will give you a w-i-d-e range of versatility for game and firepower possibilites.

The acquisition of a 30-30 as your first modest power centerfire will essentially restrict you to modest range modest size game, it has about the same power level and ballistics as the SKS --- not a good scenario for the elk hunting you mentioned.

aarsudstrike, I would recommend that you wait on the 30-30 and pick it up later as the "niche gun" that it is, only after you have "filled out" the basic "anchors" of your long gun rack (and when that time comes you may want to look at a 45-70 Marlin Guide Gun instead).

IMHO, a 22LR, a 30-06, and a 12 gauge is a superb set of long guns to start ones hunting career with, especially if you are wanting to "range about the country" a bit (especially "out west or up north" where the horizons REALLY open up and ranges can increase) for varying forms of big game (especially the ones larger than deer). For that you need some reach and some power without getting something that will kick you silly for your first high-power centerfire -- a 30-06 or very, very close equivalent does just that and is quite managable for most men.

Exciting times for you.... you are about to be "on your way"....
Good Luck and Good Hunting,

EKM
Old 12-03-2004, 08:21 PM

hahah wow thanks for all the help guys yea ive used my dads guns for long enough i feel that it is time to break out on my own and get a set that i will enjoy as much as he does. i have gone to many gone shops and checked out most of the 30-06 range. as of now im down to a howa, savage, or a ruger(the only action and saftey combos i really liked) not sure yet. im gonna go to the gun show tomorrow and see what i can find.

thanks tyler

p.s. My grandparents have land in iowa so i know what it is like to hunt with a shot gun and what the limits of a slug gun are. im just ready to expand into bigger game. as others have said "its not the size of the rack or the meat that was lost its the experience" which i truely live by.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:10 PM

well i got my rifle today havent been able to sight it in it got too dark but its a remington model 700 30-06 with a bushnell 3x-9x40 banner scope. i just hope that i like it i payed $400 for it and it is in excellent condition so im happy
Old 12-04-2004, 05:29 PM

You the man!
I'm assuming things will go just fine for you at the range.

Depending on your build the stock may or may not be the right lenght for you, if it is too short this can cause "felt recoil" to run higher than it should. Take along a pair of leather gloves and if you suspect the stock may be short for you (thumb close to your nose and/or scope in your face) then put the gloves between the butt of the rifle and your shoulder.

If it is "brand new" and "never been fired" you may want to check into a "break in" procedure --- you only get one chance to do it in a guns life (unless you rebarrel). No big deal otherwise.

EKM
Old 12-04-2004, 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: aarsudstrike

well i got my rifle today havent been able to sight it in it got too dark but its a remington model 700 30-06 with a bushnell 3x-9x40 banner scope. i just hope that i like it i payed $400 for it and it is in excellent condition so im happy
This is a fine choice! You will probably be very pleased with your Remington. You might want to start saving up for a higher end scope someday. The lower end Bushnells are actually fairly decent, but you'd be really amazed at how nice really good optics are. A Zeiss Conquest, Leuopold VXIII, or Bushnell Elite is worth the investment, in my opinion. What you have will do just fine for now though.

Good luck, and HAVE FUN!
Old 12-04-2004, 07:32 PM

i always have fun and i was lookin at a zeiss scope made me drool but the price made me shat myself it was double what the gun was hahahah

Quick Reply: looking at getting a rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.