Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 straight pull bolts? >

straight pull bolts?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

straight pull bolts?

Old 11-21-2004, 06:45 PM

Default straight pull bolts?

I've been long searching for a bolt action rifle with a non-rotating straight pull bolt. I've come across a few, but nothing that jumped out at me. Any input would be great. The ones that i've come across included the blaser and the browning acera. Also, i am looking for a light recoil because my wife will probaly use it as much as I. i considered either a .243, .260, or .308. Again, any input is very appreciated.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: straight pull bolts?

Wow those Blasers are nice guns aren't they... I think my father is going to break down and purchase one of the break opens. I didn't even know there bolts were non-rotating, you learn something everyday!

Anyway, I know nothing of the Browning acera, so I guess I am of no help.

If you want a bolt with very little rotation look at the Browning A-bolt, it has the least rotation (60 degrees) of any of the manufactured bolt rifles. I would say the rotation is very confortable and allows you to work it without the annoyance of scope interference. I think the .243 is a very good option, you might want to look at the 7mm-08 as well.

good luck!
Old 11-22-2004, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

Weatherby MarkIV action has a 54 degree rotation.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:10 PM

I have not seen a Blaser in person, but all that I've read about them is positive. I too, am considering buying one. Besides the zero-throw bolt there is also the benefit of easy conversion to other calibers with a simple switch of barrel. Granted, they are not cheap but it could be the only rifle a person requires (with a couple of barrels, of course). I thought I read somwhere that the Blaser staight pull was voted the top rifle design of the century, or something like that. Kinda makes you wonder just who did the voting but high praise regardless.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:57 PM

after a bunch of looking, the blaser seems to be the most practical of the possibilities. If any has seen one, is it possible to get a matte finished barrel and action, i cannot seem to find enough info on them. Also, prices seem hard to find. please advise.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

my buddy had a military rifle.....i want to say a.....swiss rubin or something of the sort.....it was a neat rifle.....cheap too...100-150 bucks i think.....o would bought one but i think it was an odd ball caliber....but man it was accurate....free hand 40yds never shooting the rifle i was blasting shotgun hulls off the target stand every time with open sights.....it was a neat gun....not sure if its something youd be interested in...if your looking for a quick action why not a pump?? again..not sure what your looking for or why you want a straight bolt....just throwing out an idea if quick shooting is what you want.....
Old 11-22-2004, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

There are a bunch of Blasers on the gunbroker.com web site... It will help you get started. One warning, don't forget how expensive the scope mounts are for each barrel... They are proprietary and VERY expensive.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:33 PM

In 1996 mauser introduced a rifle with a straight pull bolt. They only built them a couple of years before sig bought the patent rights. I have one in .25-06. Its a true 1 moa shooter. It has a matte finished barrel and action and a walnut stock. My rifle with scope and sling weighs 7-1/2 pounds.