Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Bolts

Old 07-30-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Bolts

What is your alls opinion about carbon vs. aluminum. I have aluminum for now as I was told they are a little mor forgiving to learn with. But it is my understanding carbon flies better. Would love to hear others thoughts on this subject.

Joe
Old 07-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bolts

Mixed review on Carbon -vs- Alum...I have carbons but have a stockpile of Alum that Iam going to cut some down (2219's and others).Anyway I plan on cutting down afew 2219's and try some 125 fixed BH's on.Thunderheads,zwickey's and snuffers......
Old 07-30-2007, 08:25 PM

I would go with the carbons. They shoot great out of my Exocet, and alsoe are stiffer than aluminums. The stiffer spine works better with x bows because of the higher velocities and energy being transfered to the arrow. Plus, carbon recovers quicker after the short power stroke to get back on target.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't help much as I use only carbons. I dropped my bow while cocking it today, right on the LumiZone. As a result, the next shot was high...right through a piece of 5/8" cedar and out through two fences. The carbon bolt was none the worse for wear, one of the vanes didn't fare so well however.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ranger, try some magnum Slick Tricks. I promise you won't be disappointed.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive seen them,but as it go'es....You can leed a horse to water but you cant make them drink it....
What Iam saying is.. I find it hard to change,it took a dozer to get me to try Mech.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:40 AM

I've been involved with archery for more years than I'd like to admit to because it just means I'm an old fart. I started with a longbow and wood arrows and have shot them all, recurve, compound, longbow and now have a crossbow. When I went to aluminum (from the wood) I bought an arrow straightener mostly to tell if they had any bends in them which is my only complaint with aluminum. They can have the slightest bend that you can't see and they may not fly right from your setup. I went to carbons and when they ain't right, you definitely know it and can see it. I prefer carbons now over everything else but it is personal preference as all will fly straight if there is nothing wrong with them. I'm sure something else is lurking around the corner but right now carbons is it for me.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:32 PM

Well, this is all great info. I have a Horton Hunter Elite, 175lb draw. Do I have to use the arrows they sell? If not, who makes a good one? Please remember that I am on a income so tight much of the time I cannot afford to pay attention, so that will factor in. Thanks for all the info, and thanks in advance for these questions!
Joe

Do any of you all live or hunt in Kansas?
Old 07-31-2007, 01:20 PM

arent carbon bolts lighter than aluminum?
Old 07-31-2007, 01:36 PM

ORIGINAL: buttermilkranch

arent carbon bolts lighter than aluminum?
Usually yes for long bow crowd. But for the CB crowd most all of us shoot arrows right at the minimum arrow weight for our CB's so usually they are the same or close. I know the Horton carbons are only 16 grains lighter then the aluminum ones. I used to always shoot aluminum arrows but then when I got the new supper Max a few years ago I was sinking them into the target real far and was bending the arrows after time pulling them out. Switched to carbon and love them. Plan on never using aluminum again.

Quick Reply: Bolts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.