Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .300 mag..is it powerful enough for elk?? >

.300 mag..is it powerful enough for elk??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.300 mag..is it powerful enough for elk??

Old 11-12-2004, 02:08 PM

Default RE: .300 mag..is it powerful enough for elk??

I believe that if the shooter does his part and learns his firearm well the .300's will serve him just fine . By the way my cousin's husband's uncle uses a .30/30 for elk in Idaho but I under stand he won't shoot any further than 50 yards at elk.Horns mean nothing to him but a full freezer does. His freezer is always full with elk meat.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:48 PM

I remember reading a magazine article years ago, when someone was first using a .338 WM or maybe a .340 wthby on elk. There was a shot the writer took at an Elk that was running directly away from him that he was successful with. I shoot single shot rifles only, so I disipline myself when I am shooting. In that context many cartridges far less powerful than the .300 mag work very well. I use a 7 mm RM myself, but friends use typical .270 or 30-06's for Elk and if they don't come home with one it has nothing to do with caliber. On the other hand, I don't think any of us has ever shot at the rear end of an Elk running away from us.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:22 PM
Typical Buck

The original question asks about a "300 mag."
I am a bit of a stickeler when it comes to naming cartridges. Or using the correct name for a cartridge.

I heard a story about a non-resident alien hunter who was up here in Alberta with and outfitter and missed a really big white-tail. The outfitter suggested they go to a nearby range and shoot the clients gun (a "300 mag."). The gun would not group worth a darn. The outfitter asked if the ammo the fellow was using was the same he had sighted in with. "No". said the client" I sighted in with .300 weatherby mag. ammo then could not find any more so I bought these .300 winchester mag. shells to hunt up here with.

There are several ".300 mag." cartridges now adays and they are not interchangable.

If your gun is a .300 win. mag. then always state that and be sure you use that ammo in it. Same goes for people saying they shoot a 7mm. That could be one of several 7mms.

Any of the big .300 mags. would be great elk cartridges IF you use the proper bullets and IF you can hit where you are aiming with them and IF the hit is in a vital area.

Robin
Old 11-16-2004, 08:42 PM

300 mag is a great caliber for elk, flat shooting hard hitting what more can u ask for. its also fairly versitle and can be used on whitetail. good bullet selection as well. I dropped a bull elk with a 30-06 at 250 yards. I think a seasoned shooter can take an elk with a 270 with the proper ammo.