Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 T7 is less powerful? >

T7 is less powerful?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T7 is less powerful?

Old 09-03-2007, 12:45 PM

Default T7 is less powerful?

I got loaded up my x-150 with 90 grains pyrodex p and a 410 grain plains bullet. I had this rifle sighted dead on at 100 yards with triple 7 fffg. I used 80 grains of t7 because its supposedly 15% powerful than pyrodex. So i take my shot at 100 yards with the 90 grains pyrodex p and the 410 GP bullet and its dead center but 10" high! I think triple 7 is a gimmick and it produces less power than pyrodex. I was also shooting off hand and was surprised to see that i havnt lost my off hand shooting "touch". I will buy more GP bullets tomorrow and sight in with these and pyrodex. Triple 7 has lost a buyer today. Will move my sights back down to where they orignally were.
If you look at my pics, In the middle of the R is where im setup with a 385 grain GP conical. The next notch above thats center of the U and G, is where i have to adjust when using triple 7! After seeing this today, im no longer spending $27 for triple 7, i will go back with the $14.99 Pyrodex P.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: T7 is less powerful?

I normally find just the opposite results shooting Triple Se7en. I would not judge where a projectile hits on a target as to which one is more powerful. I would shoot over a chronograph if I had one, and was curious. And let the numbers be the judge. Personally, I like Triple Se7en with conicals. But if you have better accuracy with Pyrodex P then by all means, that is what I would use too.

Good luck with your rifle.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

FG

Sometimes I just do not know where you are coming from... T7 is more powerful than any of the Pyros and/or most BP's grain for grain... Anyone that has shot it across a chrony can tell you that.

Where it shoots is not a good judge - shoot it across a chrono.

You oughta think about some of your statements before you post them...
Old 09-03-2007, 01:27 PM

From the way i have to adjust my sights, something with triple 7 shows me that its not as powerful. 90 grains of triple 7 measures out to something like 102 grains total VS 90 grains pyrodex p. IMO, if it is stronger, why am i having to adjust my sights up so high VS when i use pyrodex. Thats what i was trying to get at. I wont use t7 again after seeing how much more distance i can get out of pyrodex. Probably should have known that a product thats been on the market for 30 + years is the real winner.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

SL very nicely told you that you are talking nonsense. Not that I disagree with Pyrodex being a good powder - it is, but it's corrosive beyond belief. Triple7 is certainly the more powerful powder per volume. You've reached an incorrect conclusion based upon no real evidence.

Run the same comparison from a good BENCH rest and shoot through a chrono.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:50 PM

Gotta love it! Adjusted my sights down a wee bit to far, took another shot off hand at 100 yards and was 2" low @ 100 and dead center. I'll adjust them a wee up and buy more GP's tomorrow morning and do more shooting. Hell with the rifle rest lol, ive been doing better off hand. These Truglo sights are awesome.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

As odd as it might sound, a heavy bullet being propelled out of the barrel slower can hit the target higher. The force of recoil is raising the muzzle while the bullet is still in the barrel.
I had a rifle that was hitting too high and called the manufacturer to see if they had sights that would allow me to get it adjusted. They told me no other sights were available, but increase the powder charge and I would lower the POI. I tried it, and it worked!
Old 09-03-2007, 03:11 PM

less recoil today. A lot less. Even shot one of those hard to load minnies after i adjusted my sights and it was right on the bottom line of the bulls eye where i was aiming. Even though the minnies are lighter, i think i may have it on sight now and ready for the GP's bullets.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sabotloader and cayuqadlike it and I have my reseservations,going by my somewhat out of date chrony and strain gage the pressure goes up a lot faster than the velocity and the crud rings are awful.
As to your problem I do believe that what is happening is that when the recoil is throwing the gun up with the slower load it will shoot higher speed it up a bit and the bullet exits before the barrel has a chance to rise as far.
Lee
Old 09-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

The slower bullet does ususlly shoot higher, as stated before. This really shows up with a big cal. hand gun because the barrel jumps more than with a rifle. The speed is quite a bit faster with 777.

Quick Reply: T7 is less powerful?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.