Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Laminated Stock?... >

Laminated Stock?...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Laminated Stock?...

Old 11-04-2004, 09:47 AM

Default Laminated Stock?...

I love the look of a wood-stocked rifle, but I like the ruggedness and weather-proofness of a synthetic. Is a hardwood laminated stock weatherproof? I like the looks of them, and I would imagine that there would have to be some sort of weatherproof coating or something to them. Anybody know anything about them?
Old 11-04-2004, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Laminated Stock?...

A properly made laminated stock will be weatherproof. If it is finished with a synthetic finish probably more so then lets say an oil finish. There are 2 ranges these stocks ..lower priced ones include Boyds and Richards Microfit and the high end would probably be a Serengheti. A Serengheti stock is walnut and looks almost like a regular stock and usually is oil finished, the others are hardwood in most cases and are finished in a urethane finish or some you can finish anyway you want. I wouldn't have an issue using any laminated stock in awful weather..they should do just fine.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

A laminated stock is almost as stable as a synthetic stock in wet conditions.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:19 AM

Have a laminated stock with my Rem. 700 LSS Mtn. Rifle. Very stable. In fact, zero has
held steady now for over 3years.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

I bought a Remington 700 Classic Stainless in 257 Roberts and replaced the stock with a Boyd's Thumbhole laminated stock. The laminates are almost impervious to weather. They can still gain or lose a little moisture in very wet or dry climates. This isn't to the degree a regular wood stock can. The gain or loss will be very minimal and rarely has an effect on zero. I chose laminate because I hate the look and feel of synthetic. One drawback to the laminates is that they will be heavier than a synthetic and are usually heavier than factory wood stocks. I think the laminates are some of the best looking stocks on the market. The laminate I purchased was in finished condition and was sealed with a synthetic urethane clear cote finish. New factory rifles are usually stained and sealed with a synthetic finish to make them more weather resistant. They are more weather resistant than they were 25 years ago. If you choose a laminate it's still subject to scratches and dings. A synthetic isn't susceptible to scratches and dings. If you decide against a laminate buy a quality synthetic and not one of the injection molded pieces of junk for under $100. As with anything you usually get what you pay for.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:45 PM

I love the Boyds laminate stocks. I buy alot of them and finish them myself. Been making a fw bucks on the side doing it for other folks. I finish them with a tru-oil finish. I apply 6 coats and it is extremely stable. Two years ago I hunted for 4 days straight in total downpours and the stock never took on any amount of water. The rifle was a sucks (REM) 700 BDL in .25-06. I shot it on the 5th day after an extensive clean session to check zero and it was right in there. I would bet the farm this wouldnt have been true with the original factory wood. As time goes on more and more of my rifle will be sporting the Boyds stocks.