Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buying a used scope

Old 11-03-2004, 04:05 PM

Default Buying a used scope

Hi

I´m considering buying a 3 year old Swarovski 6-24x50 with fine reticle. The scope has lifetime warranty and looks like new according to current owner but in 3 years time it has had 2 owners. What questions should I ask him?? If a new one would cost $1700 (scopes are expensive here) how much would you pay/think is fair for this one, or in other words how much cheaper should a 3 year old scope be than a new one in percentages(%) ?

thanks
Old 11-03-2004, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Buying a used scope

scopes have come a long way in recent years... I would think you should get it at between 25-33% off new. I would check riflescopes.com and look at their demo swarovskis and see what they are going for.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 2 owners in 3 years would worry me a little. But if the price was right, it would worry me a lot less. I would shoot for around the 50% range to see exactly how bad they want to sell. Not saying that the scope isn't worth more, but that would be where I would start. I wouldn't go over 75% of the original price. But that's just my opinion. It may be worth more to you, may be worth less. Just depends on how much you like it.

The lifetime warranty thing would also help ease my concerns. I have had good luck with Swarovski customer service. If there were something wrong with it, you could probably send it in and get it fixed.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I never buy used scopes unless they are already on a rifle that I am dealing on. Even then if they want much more than the gun is worth without the scope, I will pass on it. I have had 100 percent perfect success with scopes like the Bushnell Trophy and banner scopes and they are pretty cheap.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:36 PM
bigcountry

I just couldn't give more than 700 dollars for it. And thats with a 3 day inpection guarantee.

Old 11-04-2004, 02:15 PM

thanks for the replies guys. Scopes are rather expensive here in iceland. This scope would cost $2100 here new but I could get it for $1800. This one I can buy for 1100 and I think I´ll go for it. New one costs $1461 in D&R but I would have to pay around $400 in taxes and transport fees. Therefore I think this is a good deal for a 3 year old scope with lifetime guarantee even though it has had 2 owner.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

Scopes shouldn't cost you too much because you live in any given area with the age of the internet... Just have one shipped there.

My favorite sight is www.riflescopes.com or www.natchezss.com... They have verygood prices on all models of scopes. Anyone else know of any good web sites?
Old 11-04-2004, 04:46 PM

I wont get it any cheaper than this because a 24,5% tax is added to imported scopes plus transport fees. I have been looking for scopes for a long time and have found some cheap internet dealers. www.dnrsports.net and www.bearbasin.com usually have by far the best deals but occasionally you can find really good offers at other sites like the Leupold prices at www.dansshootingsupply.com. Hope this helps.