Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 30-30 marlin problems, please read. >

30-30 marlin problems, please read.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

30-30 marlin problems, please read.

Old 10-20-2004, 10:08 AM

Default 30-30 marlin problems, please read.

i have a marlin 30-30. i don't have the gun here right now so i can't give you the model # but i'm thinking it's a 33 something or other maybe 9?? not quite sure but it has a gold ring on the left side of it. it's a side ejection lever action that has the safety that you have to squeeze the lever in order for the hammer to come down to fire the weapon. the gun jammed while shooting. after i got the shells out (by pulling the spring in the holding chamber) it won't fire. the lever works fine but it seems that the lever is interupting the trigger going back far enough to fire and the lever won't squeeze enough in order for the safety device to work properly. in other words when you pull the trigger the hammer won't come down. did any of you guys/gals ever have this problem???
Old 10-20-2004, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 30-30 marlin problems, please read.

I'm a little confused with what you're saying...but I'm going to try to help anyway...

Try this, if the trigger is coming clear back and contacting the lever, take the lever off (one screw at the pivot), push the lever safety (trigger block safety) up with the side face of a screwdriver, and pull the trigger. If it fires, then the lever really is in the way, I can't say how to fix this, I'd take it to a gunsmith...

That isn't very likely though, if it ever worked, then it wouldn't get changed by that.

The hammer IS NOT falling right? Marlins, last I knew had two piece sear and triggers, so if one piece broke or came loose, it's possible that properly pulling the trigger won't trip the sear...any gunsmith can fix this for you, or if you get download the exploded parts view for your gun from brownells, you might be able to figure it out on your own. (if you do it, check for other wear or broken parts, and polish every bearing surface-except the sear/hammer/trigger engagement surfaces, which will make your rifle run smoother-not NECESSARY, but nice).

If the hammer ISN'T falling but you can't pull the trigger back, it's possible that your lever safety (trigger block) isn't disengaging the trigger...the fact that you mentioned it makes me think that your rifle required you to SQUEEZE the lever up to make it disengage, if it became worn, maybe it isn't disengaging...when you have the lever fully closed, is there a block behind the trigger blocking it from coming back? You can't pull the trigger back when this happens, it'll swing forward losely as always, but it won't pull back as far as normal shooting.

If the hammer IS falling, and it's not firing, check your firing pin, Marlins use a 2-piece pin now (I don't know about older models, but I think the 30A's did at least), your pin could either be broken, or the engagement could be failing. A new firing pin would fix this, any gunsmith could do it, or you could do it yourself.

I'm not a gunsmith, and certainly not an expert on marlin leverguns, there could be some easy answer that I'm not aware of...at any rate, I'd take it to a gunsmith and have them at least look at it if you're not willing to open it up on your own (marlin's are easy), they'll likely be able to take it apart and diagnose it in a day, or maybe while you wait or just by what you say is happening or what they SEE happening (I don't have the gun in my hands).

It might also be possible, if you're the original owner, to send it back in to Marlin to have it fixed for free (you pay shipping)...this would take a while, but the parts and service would be free, where a local smith would be faster more likely, but you'd pay parts and labor...If this were the case, I'd honestly find out what was wrong and get a "quote" from a gunsmith, and get shipping quotes and pick the lowest bidder.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd take it to a gunsmith
Old 10-21-2004, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

weird ive had marlin lever actions for years and never heard or had anything like that happen one particular marlin of mine is a model 30AW Ive put atleast 3,000 rounds through it and its still as solid as it was when it was new. Marlin makes the finest and toughest lever gun out there its really strange to hear anyone having a problem with one, the only problem ive heard happen with them is the exrator wearing out and breaking off, but what can you expect for a stamped sheet metal part.